Phone Sales And Medicare Supplements

ChawMcGraw

I've read and re-read every thread on the subject in these forums, but it seems like it's divided right down the middle as to whether one could successfully cold call for Medicare Supplements. I'm looking to go from car sales to Medicare Supplements (At least in the beginning).

All I'm looking for is short, ballpark answers. Not trying to waste anyone's time or anything like that so no need to search for links or anything - just off the top of your heads unless you actually want to get more detailed.

1. My biggest question - and if you only answer this one I will be grateful. Is it a reasonable goal to sell one a day (Rewrites 68-75 is what I'm focusing on) via cold calling?

2. Do you think it's best to One-call close, or to set up a time where they are expecting to talk about Medicare Supplements, saving money, etc?

3. For every person with a Supplement - say 68-75 years old:

• What percentage would you guess will likely save $20+ per month?
  • What percentage would not qualify for the lower rates due to health/underwriting?

I appreciate any answers from the above, important questions! The rest of this post can be ignored unless you are feeling extra helpful today, but here are a couple other questions I had...

4. Cold Calling is not something I'm experienced in. I've called for a few total hours the past couple days. I feel like I'm already leaps and bounds better than when I started, got a couple invites to call them back and a couple people to let me run quotes, no sales yet. About half the numbers are wrong and the dialer seems to "Connect" to a disconnected call about 80% of the time. This was leading to about 5 conversations per hour. How much better could this be with a more accurate list and maybe better dialer?

5. There are so many different theories on scripts, it leads me to believe that it is not as important as being able to have a conversation with a stranger, hold them for the first 5 seconds, then the next 10, and from there it isn't so bad. Does that sound about right? Have a few word tracks, especially in the beginning, but really it's about feeling out the conversation and keeping them on long enough to be comfortable?

6. Any other pointers, advice, etc - I'm all ears! Thanks again for your help!

Below is a little background information just in case it is relevant. Already a long post, so I don't blame you for not reading it...

I was a sales manager at a car dealership for a handful of years and grew sick of the stagnant income that had only gone down as the comp plans changed over the years.

I have sales experience, so I'm not going in completely blind to how general sales interactions tend to move along. I pick up on new things quickly and generally can read body language/tone changes pretty well. I'm not afraid of hard/long work or to stick my neck out there, make a mistake, and learn from it.

The reason I want start with cold calling (If possible) is I know the phone's a weak area for me. Having been in management for years, I need to brush up on some sales/interaction skills. My plan was to cold call until one is sold every day, then work on other lead generation the rest of the time.

I've read and re-read every thread on the subject in these forums, but it seems like it's divided right down the middle as to whether one could successfully cold call for Medicare Supplements. I'm looking to go from car sales to Medicare Supplements (At least in the beginning).

All I'm looking for is short, ballpark answers. Not trying to waste anyone's time or anything like that so no need to search for links or anything - just off the top of your heads unless you actually want to get more detailed.

1. My biggest question - and if you only answer this one I will be grateful. Is it a reasonable goal to sell one a day (Rewrites 68-75 is what I'm focusing on) via cold calling?

2. Do you think it's best to One-call close, or to set up a time where they are expecting to talk about Medicare Supplements, saving money, etc?

3. For every person with a Supplement - say 68-75 years old:

• What percentage would you guess will likely save $20+ per month?
  • What percentage would not qualify for the lower rates due to health/underwriting?

I appreciate any answers from the above, important questions! The rest of this post can be ignored unless you are feeling extra helpful today, but here are a couple other questions I had...

4. Cold Calling is not something I'm experienced in. I've called for a few total hours the past couple days. I feel like I'm already leaps and bounds better than when I started, got a couple invites to call them back and a couple people to let me run quotes, no sales yet. About half the numbers are wrong and the dialer seems to "Connect" to a disconnected call about 80% of the time. This was leading to about 5 conversations per hour. How much better could this be with a more accurate list and maybe better dialer?

5. There are so many different theories on scripts, it leads me to believe that it is not as important as being able to have a conversation with a stranger, hold them for the first 5 seconds, then the next 10, and from there it isn't so bad. Does that sound about right? Have a few word tracks, especially in the beginning, but really it's about feeling out the conversation and keeping them on long enough to be comfortable?

6. Any other pointers, advice, etc - I'm all ears! Thanks again for your help!

Below is a little background information just in case it is relevant. Already a long post, so I don't blame you for not reading it...

I was a sales manager at a car dealership for a handful of years and grew sick of the stagnant income that had only gone down as the comp plans changed over the years.

I have sales experience, so I'm not going in completely blind to how general sales interactions tend to move along. I pick up on new things quickly and generally can read body language/tone changes pretty well. I'm not afraid of hard/long work or to stick my neck out there, make a mistake, and learn from it.

The reason I want start with cold calling (If possible) is I know the phone's a weak area for me. Having been in management for years, I need to brush up on some sales/interaction skills. My plan was to cold call until one is sold every day, then work on other lead generation the rest of the time.

Med supp market is a price war. Lotalty goes out the window when ur clients get a price increase every 2 years and are bombarded with mailers with hungry new agents thinking the same thing.

Imo I would pursue life insurance bc due to retention, simplicity and once someone gets it they typically keep for life.

Medd supp could be phasing out more and more with Med Advantage

Cold calling is not the way to market anymore either. U better have a marketing lead company that u can trust bc they are making 400 per 1000 mail drops with no skin in the game so many are worthless and seniors dont bite the bait as much.

If i were starting over Id learn internet leads which i have no clue how they do it or start door knocking again like Edward Jones agents

Jmho

Med supp market is a price war. Lotalty goes out the window when ur clients get a price increase every 2 years and are bombarded with mailers with hungry new agents thinking the same thing.

Imo I would pursue life insurance bc due to retention, simplicity and once someone gets it they typically keep for life.

Medd supp could be phasing out more and more with Med Advantage

Cold calling is not the way to market anymore either. U better have a marketing lead company that u can trust bc they are making 400 per 1000 mail drops with no skin in the game so many are worthless and seniors dont bite the bait as much.

If i were starting over Id learn internet leads which i have no clue how they do it or start door knocking again like Edward Jones agents

Jmho

Gees, Is your med supp retention that bad

Now I know why you complain so much, You need to do better by your clients and they will stick around more

Is it a reasonable goal to sell one a day (Rewrites 68-75 is what I'm focusing on) via cold calling?

I don't cold call. Haven't in years and never for Medigap.

Most seniors have caller ID and many won't answer their phone if they do not recognize the number.

Rewriting age 68 - 75 is tough for many reasons . . . the main one being underwriting. Just a wag but my guess would be at least a quarter of them, maybe more, can't pass underwriting.

Can't speak for others, but very few of my clients would change based on price alone.

One-call close,

You will get a lot of resistance to buy over the phone on a cold call.

Cold Calling is not something I'm experienced in.

You are digging an even deeper hole.

have a conversation with a stranger, hold them for the first 5 seconds, then the next 10, and from there it isn't so bad.

Excuse me while I LOL

sales manager at a car dealership f

Medigap is intangible.

Cars are tangible.

If you were good at cold calling to sell cars by phone in a one call close you MIGHT make it.

But I sincerely doubt it.

Let me be brutally honest.

I doubt you will survive more than 3 months, if that.

Gees, Is your med supp retention that bad

Now I know why you complain so much, You need to do better by your clients and they will stick around more

Now thats ur typical “look @ me Mom I am successful “ needs to boast and demean others on this blog to makes ur self feel better?

Whats hilarious is I dont do med supps so

Relax Francis, but my guess is my post makes u a bit unsure of the future of ur book of biz in medd supps

Priceless

Now thats ur typical “look @ me Mom I am successful “ needs to boast and demean others on this blog to makes ur self feel better?

Whats hilarious is I dont do med supps so

Relax Francis, but my guess is my post makes u a bit unsure of the future of ur book of biz in medd supps

Priceless

Wait Before you said as if you were coming from experience

"Med supp market is a price war. Lotalty goes out the window when ur clients get a price increase every 2 years and are bombarded with mailers with hungry new agents thinking the same thing.

Medd supp could be phasing out more and more with Med Advantage"

But now you say you know nothing, And your advice is based on nothing

Back