Phone Scripts

midwestbroker

Guru
1000 Post Club
Columbia, MO
I am currently working on some phone scripts, such as for 30/60 day call backs, birthday card follow ups, etc.

Does anyone else write scripts for those, or for anything else? By script I usually mean a few lines to keep me on track and focused, and not getting off on a tangent too much.

I am currently working on some phone scripts, such as for 30/60 day call backs, birthday card follow ups, etc.

Does anyone else write scripts for those, or for anything else? By script I usually mean a few lines to keep me on track and focused, and not getting off on a tangent too much.

I have never used a script for anything. I know the information I need and that is enough to start the conversation.

I log info about the person in the comments box. I have found "getting off track" with the prospect and talking about something they are interested in helps in it not being just another sales call to them. I want some personal info about them. It is a great help to have that information the next time I call them back.

On call backs, I try to tailor the conversation to them, rather than it just being another person calling that is trying to sell them something.

I try to get "up close and personal" with them and keep the call very low key and conversational.

I agree that there needs to be a personal touch to the call, but I always hang up with them and think, I should have said this or that

You are doing that for two reasons. You are not well practiced at it yet and you feel uncomfortable calling them in the first place. That is why you want a "script".

Start doing a lot of calling. It doesn't matter if you get an appointment or not.

Start by saying, "Hello, Mrs Smith? My name is Mike (forgot your last name but say it.) The reason I'm calling is...

Then I make a brief statement as to why I am calling. Do not pause, go right into "are you on Medicare?) She is so say "Great". Again without pausing after "great" say, "Do you have insurance that covers what Medicare doesn't pay?" As soon as she says "yes" then say, "With the rate medical expenses are increasing and considering each year Medicare pays less people need something. Again without pausing for an answer from her say, "Do you recall what company you have your insurance with?"

More often than not, if they haven't hung up on you by that time they will tell you without evening thinking about it.

You then say, "I have heard that they are a pretty good company. A lot of my clients use to have insurance with them but the premiums got so high that a lot of them couldn't afford to keep their insurance. Most of my clients are on a fixed income and they need to save every penny they can."

I don't talk fast, that is a huge no, no. However, I don't pause a lot. I really don't want them to answer the questions I ask other than a yes or no except for the one about their current company.

Once I have the company name, that is the main info I wanted, then I begin a real conversation with them. I talk and let them talk. I rarely ask them how much they are paying. Instead, I tell them how much it will be with me and then ask them if it is more or less than they are currently paying. If they are paying more, I ask them how much more, when they tell me I act shocked that they are paying that much.

Now I ask for the appointment, if they say yes then I will ask some basic health questions to make sure they don't have one foot in the grave.

That is a great approach, but I am not cold calling.

I am calling current clients. The reason I would be calling them would be birthday and policy reviews.

I was just looking for a good approach to get an appointment out of the birthday one, and any slick policy review calls.

I hate cold calling, and with who I am with for MA's, they set all the appointments up for me.

Here is what I am looking at for B-day calls (mind you this is a rough draft)

Mr Client, this is Mike Gattorna, your insurance agent. I am calling to wish you a happy birthday month.

They say, birthday month?

Yes, the whole month. My wife has taught me that she has a birthday month, and expects just that. However, I thought sending you 30 birthday cards would be a bit much.

ha ha ha

Now...this is where I am stuck, I am wanting to transition into something about changes and if they have had any. If they have, is what they have the best for them.

I can say all that without sounding like I am reading a piece of paper and I know that they will tell me what happened, who came into town, etc. So, it would be a personal call, not some robotic type conversation.

That is a great approach, but I am not cold calling.

I am calling current clients. The reason I would be calling them would be birthday and policy reviews.

I was just looking for a good approach to get an appointment out of the birthday one, and any slick policy review calls.

I hate cold calling, and with who I am with for MA's, they set all the appointments up for me.

Here is what I am looking at for B-day calls (mind you this is a rough draft)

Mr Client, this is Mike Gattorna, your insurance agent. I am calling to wish you a happy birthday month.

They say, birthday month?

Yes, the whole month. My wife has taught me that she has a birthday month, and expects just that. However, I thought sending you 30 birthday cards would be a bit much.

ha ha ha

Now...this is where I am stuck,...

I'm sure you hate cold calling, don't we all, but that is the life blood of selling insurance. Some day you may want to go on your own and if you do you will be totally lost as to what to do. I would suggest that you also learn to cold call even though you get "leads".

As far as what to say next? Just tell them. Anything less than that they will see through and then it becomes a "sale call" not a friendly call to wish them a happy birthday. Just be honest with them. You aren't going to fool them but you may just piss them off.

When I do calls like that I simply tell them why I am calling. They appreciate that a lot more.

Don't "get fancy" or try to over think it. Just be you and they will be themselves, not suspicious and standoffish.

Say something like, "I really work hard to keep up with my clients needs and I just wanted to check and see how everything is going. Is the policy you have still doing a good job for you? If not there are some other options that are new that might be a little better for you. I'd be more than happy to stop by and show them to you if you would like."

If they are interested they will start asking you questions. At that point you tell them that it will make more sense to them if you show it to them in black and white. Say, "I'm sure you know how complicated insurance can be and trying to explain it over the phone is really difficult".

Is that the kind of thing you had in mind?

PS Rick's "Afterthoughts Birthday Insurance" would be a DYNAMITE thing to mention at that time. Especially on their birthday, since it is something that is birthday related.

I had talked to a couple different people about the After Thoughts Bday ins. One of the guys I talked to said that alot of people thought that getting money from a dead G-ma would be pretty creepy. Instead of wasting money on a small amount every b-day why not gove them a lump sum at death.

Sorry for the interruption.........Back to phone scripts. Yuo re doing great Frank!;)

Back