Physical Therapist with MA/Supp agent side gig: Conflict?

Ask the carrier(s).

I would think the bigger question is, how does the PT licensing board feel about it?

CMS is another potential problem. Their marketing rules make it seem like if you use a public restroom in a medical office building and accidentally drop your business card or a flyer, you can go to CMS jail.

Yes, I think he should see what it could mean with regard to his PT license, and I'll suggest he do that before doing anything else. That could be the end of it right there. Thanks

I've got a friend who's an independent physical therapist, and he recently asked me if it's possible for someone like him to compliantly get Medicare licensed and have a completely separate side profession as an agent.

My immediate reaction was "Oh heck no! That's a conflict of interest.", but my search results on that scenario have been vague at best. He gets all of his patients by doctor referral only, so there wouldn't be any opportunity for his PT practice to gain financially from his Medicare plan business. He would be in direct contact with Medicare beneficiaries in his practice but if he didn't provide plan materials or discuss Medicare plans with his patients then it appears to me he would be in compliance. Some MA carriers are even operating medical clinics across the country, so that's all making me wonder.

My question, as stupid as it feels to ask it: If he were to keep everything completely separate under different LLC companies which he owns, and ran both businesses compliantly, then do you think there is any way he could legally do this?

So, no it's not a conflict of interest. I work as a state employee that deals with people going on disability/retiring everyday. I could be sketchy and take down personal information for future contact, but CMS and the state would jack me up.

I actually have to follow federal CoI guidelines.

I passed with flying colors to start my part time business.

Here's the thing, and it's just my perspective, you have to entirely separate your businesses. I don't mention my full time job to people I work with in insurance, nor my part time business with my state job cases.

If he or you are really worried about CMS, have him work just Med Supps.

Last edited:
I would like to know how/if they enforce it since INDEPENDENT agents are 1099 contractors.

Guess I will keep on writing business that is right for my clients with carriers that understand I am not exclusive and never will be.

They revoke your contract.

I've known plenty of agents who've had side gigs with no problem. Some teach, some are actors, musicians, and whatever. The bigger picture of my question has more to do with a medical professional with a side gig selling Medicare plans. How is that looked at by the powers that be?
Most probably its okay but just dont get caught on the big end?

Back