Physicians Mutual Dental question

eagles12

Expert
I have an existing client who signed up with a PM dental plan . She received the offer
through the mail. She wants me to evaluate the plan. I'm doing a comparison between Ameritas,
Manhattan Life & PM's dental plans. My question: What has been your experience with PM? Are there
nuances she should be concerned about? Are claims paid in a timely manner? How has the service been?
Is the pricing fair? Thank you.

Manhattan had a good plan but that changed when they went to usual and customary charges. If you do the math and read the contract especially on big procures I'm not a fan of any of the plans I have seen.

Why do consumers seem to be more interested in Physicians Mutual dental vs. how overpriced their supplement coverage usually is with this company?

I have an existing client who signed up with a PM dental plan . She received the offer
through the mail. She wants me to evaluate the plan. I'm doing a comparison between Ameritas,
Manhattan Life & PM's dental plans. My question: What has been your experience with PM? Are there
nuances she should be concerned about? Are claims paid in a timely manner? How has the service been?
Is the pricing fair? Thank you.
The PM dental plan pays set amounts, not a %. They have a fee schedule.

Manhattan's DVR plan is the best on the market. While they did go to usual and customary charges, from actual charges....they have a "pool of money" that can be used for dental...or vision...or hearing aids...or any combination up tp your annual maximum. :yes:

Manhattan had a good plan but that changed when they went to usual and customary charges. If you do the math and read the contract especially on big procures I'm not a fan of any of the plans I have seen.
Manhattan still has a good plan. I wish they would've stayed with actual charges. I got mine before they changed it, so I'm on actual charges. I still think it's the best out there. :yes:

Power Up Your Portfolio With Dental Insurance!
The Physicians Mutual Famiily

Lisa, now available for the FIRST TIME to insurance producers in your area!

It’s time to boost your competitive edge and your income. Power up your portfolio with dental insurance from Physicians Mutual Insurance Company. This is real dental insurance for individuals, not a discount or preventive-only plan, and it’s the first time we’ve made it available to independent producers in your area.

Power your way into a large market.

Adding our dental insurance to your portfolio will give you another reason to reach out to your customers and prospects — and more potential to grow your income.

Here’s what’s in it for your customers:• No annual maximum on cash benefits• No deductible• Immediate coverage for preventive care• Freedom to choose any dentist — and the opportunity to save more with one in our network• Option to add vision coverage

Here’s what’s in it for you:• 25% first-year commissions• 5% renewals thereafter for the life of the policy• Simple service and policy issue process• Simple contracting process — getting appointed is easy and FREE

Now’s the time to power up your portfolio. Are you ready?

The PM dental plan pays set amounts, not a %. They have a fee schedule.

Caveat, not an agent.

I quoted goillini's post as a reference. When I looked on the Physician's Mutual site this morning, that is the sense I got. I have not checked those fees against some dental EOB's, but I think they are a lot less than customary and reasonable dentist charges than a customer review on the site would imply.

When I did a dentist search, it went to an Ameritas network (which the Physicians Mutual site also mentioned would happen). In my location at least, there were not very many dentists that were in-network.

So, My question:

If a "real dental insurance plan" works from a fee structure but very few dentists would accept those fees on an "in-network" basis, isn't the net effect to most consumers the same as if they purchased an indemnity plan? (i.e. the consumer does not get any retail charge write-down before the consumer and the insurance company share payment of the balance due. )

Back