Picking Up that Phone....

Soooo you call them by their middle name?! This is a genius idea. Im sure it will get the prospect's attention. Cant wait to start using this.

I am far enough south that people do put their middle names on the cards many times. Met with a Susie May yesterday.:yes:

I often say Mr. or Mrs. I hate it when I say Mr. and she says, "That's Mrs.!" in her deep gravely voice. That happens to often. Those women shouldn't smoke so much. :err:

When that happens, I might as well hang up the phone because I don't think I ever made an appointment with one after that. I've thought about saying, "don't get pissed at me, it's not my fault you sound like a man".:twitchy:

I have had that couple times too, Didn't feel bad letting them go though I am guessing they were declinable anyway

I have had that couple times too, Didn't feel bad letting them go though I am guessing they were declinable anyway

Have you ever had a man that sounded like a woman? I've only had a couple of those. After the mistake they try to talk with masculinity. Doesn't work.:no:

They shouldn't. It's not. But I'm not doing the canned sales talk anyway.

When I was semi captive with an MA group they made us ask, How are you doing today?" on every call we made from the office.

Hated that stuff then, hate it now.

Sometimes I have a little spare time when I get one of those moron call me and ask that. So I will go into a spiel about how things haven't been going well lately and I need to do some repair work around the house and so on and so on. They will interrupt which gives me the chance to remind them that we are first name buddies and they wanted to know how I was doing.:yes:

I don't think any good agent uses a canned pitch

Question is if it is not a sales call what type of call is it?

I get dif agents go about it differently and have different feelings about why and how, But any way you go about it. It is a sales call an they know it regardless

----------

Also I noticed today as I hit some of my older internet leads do approach differently and don't say how are you today but the fresh internet or mailer leads I do say it and it has worked well

There are ways how and when to ask someone about their well-being, then there are the classic "nervous or desperate salesperson" kind of way.

WHAT we say exactly isn't nearly as important as HOW we say it.

Human psychology dictates people will often forget what you say, but will never forget how you make them feel.

I know sales masters who use "How are you today?" in some (not all) of their calls but it's so seamless and integrated that it's a complete work of art. People are literally putty in their hands right from their intro.

Sometimes it's as easy as merely communicating with people precisely how you would want a salesperson to communicate with you if they called you.

Start paying attention to the processes that were used on you the next time you make some purchases that require a little education and are not just rapidly transactional.

Bevo is right. People, especially strangers, listen to the inflection in your voice more than anything. Most are perceptive and will easily pick up if you are nervous or unsure of yourself.

One thing I do on almost every call is stand up after I dial. It relaxes your diaphragm and allows you to come across as more relaxed vs sitting down. I also smile when I am talking.

Even though they can't see me, smiling "forces" you to come across as friendly.

I even use a playful attitude, especially when they initially engage me in conversation. If you can't have fun, or make it fun, you might as well give up.

If I can't engage people in the conversation within the first 2 - 3 minutes I might as well move on to someone else. Some people are just hard to crack.

But most of them, especially the T65 folks, really are looking for someone to explain how Medicare works. Most of them have never purchased health insurance and they just need someone to take the time to listen to their questions and offer honest answers.

If you do that you will never have to sell or close anyone.

They will just buy from you. Makes life so much easier.

I understand the thought behind why you shouldn't ask how they're doing, but I've always done it, and always will...I'm comfortable doing it.

I say their name(I've always thought that you should say Mr. or Mrs., especially if they're older than you until they tell you to call them something else), tell them my name and that I'm an independent insurance agent and why I'm calling...and then I ask them how they're doing today. Then I try to get a conversation going. I basically do the same thing as when I cold door knock, only I don't ask them how they're doing when I door knock.

I do my own cold call telemarketing from a data list(from ListShack *ick :biggrin:), and I used to call out of the phone book before I found data lists. I feel like you only have a few seconds to keep their attention so why spend it trying to "fool" them. If they're a grump and they blow you off, they weren't going to talk to you anyway. Sometimes when a grump answers the phone, I'll quickly laugh and say, "I don't suppose you want to buy some insurance do you"? It doesn't work that often, but it's changed their attitude a few times and resulted in an appointment/sale. What've you got to lose.

In a way, it's like the FE guys blowing through leads to get the low hanging fruit. If they aren't interested, why waste any time trying to keep them on the phone?

I do my own cold call telemarketing from a data list(from ListShack *ick :biggrin:), and I used to call out of the phone book before I found data lists. I feel like you only have a few seconds to keep their attention so why spend it trying to "fool" them. If they're a grump and they blow you off, they weren't going to talk to you anyway. Sometimes when a grump answers the phone, I'll quickly laugh and say, "I don't suppose you want to buy some insurance do you"? It doesn't work that often, but it's changed their attitude a few times and resulted in an appointment/sale. What've you got to lose.

I knew it (and I don't even get credit for saying it first :biggrin: )!!

The thread is coming down to:

Hi, this is a sales call. You don't want to buy any insurance, do you?

:D

I knew it (and I don't even get credit for saying it first :biggrin: )!!

The thread is coming down to:

Hi, this is a sales call. You don't want to buy any insurance, do you?

:D

Might as well get straight to the point. It works better when door knocking and you have to laugh while you're saying it, otherwise they might sick the dogs on you.:laugh:

Back