Plan C, Part B Deductible

I just got off the phone with my wife's grandmother. She said her med supp is a Plan C with BC/BS she bought back in 1991. But she also said that she pays the Part B deductible every year. Were Plan Cs different then? Is there a resource for me to look up older CMS rules about med supps?

I just got off the phone with my wife's grandmother. She said her med supp is a Plan C with BC/BS she bought back in 1991. But she also said that she pays the Part B deductible every year. Were Plan Cs different then? Is there a resource for me to look up older CMS rules about med supps?

The plans have not changed, Plan C has always paid the Medicare Part B deductible.

It is possible that she doesn't understand the Part B Deductible. She may be thinking that the premium for Part B is the deductible. I have clients who have had that confused.

If in fact she is paying the current Medicare Part B Deductible she would only be doing so if her doctor is billing her for that. If so, her doctor is collecting money he is not entitled to. He is being paid by both her and the insurance company. I have seen this happen as well.

The doctors who I have found doing this are the one's who make the patient pay before leaving the office. I tell my clients to never pay at the time of the visit. If the doctor claims the patient needs to pay at that time I suggest they find a new doctor.

I tell my clients if they receive a bill from the doctor or other provider to call me before paying them any money.

I let the senior decide between an MA & a med supp. I explain the advantages & disadvantages of both.
Here in Cali, the Anthem MAPD-PPO is zero premium (includes PDP). In/Out of network max is $3350.
For a T65, a plan F med supp in my zip code will cost $120/month. Another $40/month for a PDP. That is $1920/year.
The older the senior from age 65, the $1920 figure grows.
Someone age 80 will pay approx $3000/yr for a med supp & PDP.
What is the seniors tolerance to risk?
If the MA's disappear, no big deal. GI to a med supp.

I let the senior decide between an MA & a med supp. I explain the advantages & disadvantages of both.
Here in Cali, the Anthem MAPD-PPO is zero premium (includes PDP). In/Out of network max is $3350.
For a T65, a plan F med supp in my zip code will cost $120/month. Another $40/month for a PDP. That is $1920/year.
The older the senior from age 65, the $1920 figure grows.
Someone age 80 will pay approx $3000/yr for a med supp & PDP.
What is the seniors tolerance to risk?
If the MA's disappear, no big deal. GI to a med supp.

In what part of the OP's post did he indicate that this was a decision between MA and MedSupp?

Oh crap!
I responded to the wrong post.
I will now go stand in the corner in timeout.

:DThanks for the laugh. After a week off today is "catch up day" and it ain't happened yet. Last week was fun, but this is hell. Almost done.

That is not the answer I expected, but helpful nonetheless. Thanks Frank (and Gordon). Now I have to convince my wife's grandmother that her doctor (in a town of about 1,000 people) is overcharging her. Great.

But what about my other question? Is there a way for me to look up old plan guidelines?

Thanks Guy, but my question is more general. I'm looking for all Medicare guidelines for all Med Supps ever offered. Is there a place to look up those guidelines?

(And it's not a desperate concern. I'm mostly just curious, but also can see how questions like this might arise in the future.)

Back