Plan F Between Now and 2020

plannerman

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Will companies continue having to offer either plan F or C like have had to in the past? We places a call to the MO dept of insurance but good luck getting a call back. I do not promote either of these plans but here in Missouri there are a ton of plan F's out there. If the competition starts slowing down for that business before 2020 we could see some larger rate increases. Since we have the annual GI rule I doubt that people need to get too afraid because they will probably be able to flip from F to other plans once F is gone. To those of you in non GI states if the F or C does not have to be offered going forward that could start the ball rolling pretty quickly on trying to move people to a different plan.

Congressional leaders have discussed combining A + B deductible. That would shake things up.

Plan C is pretty stagnant, but plan F keeps on trucking along. I don't see that changing over the next year or two.

From what the SGA bill read, D and G might go GI, which would mean Plan N would be the last commonly sold fully underwritten option.

As for the A + B deductible merging, I don't see that move yet. A and B are funded differently, and making a move where there is a large out of pocket for seniors will have them in an uproar. Last major proposed change to Medicare didn't affect anyone over 50 and people still showed up with torches and pitchforks.

So instead of having to offer an F or C the carriers may have to offer a G?

If things stay this way it seems so. They have propped up MA plans for a few years. The article predicts growth, but doesn't mention whether "subsidies" will continue.

From what the SGA bill read, D and G might go GI, which would mean Plan N would be the last commonly sold fully underwritten option.

I don't remember seeing anything in the bill that mentioned D and G becoming GI. Maybe I missed it, the Bill is not an easy read. Can you recall the wording that brought you to this conclusion?

Here is the text from HR Bill 2:

Treatment of references to certain policies.--In the
case of a newly eligible Medicare beneficiary, except as the
Secretary may otherwise provide, any reference in this section
to a medicare supplemental policy which has a benefit package
classified as `C' or `F' shall be deemed, as of January 1, 2020,
to be a reference to a medicare supplemental policy which has a
benefit package classified as `D' or `G', respectively.

This is being interpreted by some as CMS is looking to replace C and F GI with D and G.

Mind you we still have a presidential election, lobbying and political shifts that can happen between now and then.

I think this is a federal law so we need to contact our federal representatives to get it stopped.
they had a company do a survey on the most used plan which is plan F DUH because its the most frequently requested by the client. That 's why they voted to eliminate it and save money on medicare.

From what I have read they believe that eliminating first dollar coverage will have people rethink on going to the doctor for minor things.

The opposition (to a degree that was the NAIC) said if seniors wait, a small issue could become a hospitalization if delayed and eliminate any potential savings.

Time will tell who is right, not that CMS will admit wrong doing.

Back