Plan G Deductible/plan Change Mid Year from F

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
Confirming the deductible on Plan G is not a supplement deductible, but rather the plan responding to Medicare's deductible and co-insurance. In other words, the plan responds to the Medicare billing, if the client changed from Plan F to G, say, in April, and the $166 Medicare deductible was met while the client was still on Plan F, then since the Medicare deductible was already met for the year, Plan G will start paying the balance of Medicare bills same as if the deductible had been met for the year if Plan G had been in place since January 1.

It takes me a while, but I get there. :idea:

Yes if they met the deductible for the year then, they're done for the year! Even if they switch to plan G the same year.

It's wasn't that long ago that somebody asked me that and I didn't know. A support ticket to Mr. Westfall saved the day!

Medicare keeps track of the deductible. Not the Medigap carrier.

When the claim arrives at the Medigap carrier Medicare lets them know if the deductible has been satisfied or not.

In theory one could have plan F in January, incur part B expense that triggers the part B deductible being paid and then switch to plan G in February and not have to pay any deductible that year.

In theory one could have plan F in January, incur part B expense that triggers the part B deductible being paid and then switch to plan G in February and not have to pay any deductible that year.
In theory and in practice. The added bonus when taking someone out of F into G. Big premium savings starting now for the cost of one small deductible...starting next year.

Yes if they met the deductible for the year then, they're done for the year! Even if they switch to plan G the same year.

It's wasn't that long ago that somebody asked me that and I didn't know. A support ticket to Mr. Westfall saved the day!
Perhaps one of the many reasons AARP/UHC doesn't offer a Plan G (yet)? They would get 1000's of members gaming the system to save over $100/year.

Perhaps one of the many reasons AARP/UHC doesn't offer a Plan G (yet)? They would get 1000's of members gaming the system to save over $100/year.

Of course it is! Hadn't thought of that. Then, too, reading their agent guide, they can refuse to switch plans with no app if they want to. But that would be a neg for them.

I have many AARP/UHC plan F and N clients in Fl. and I have not seen any switching to game the part B deductible.The fact that they don't offer G doesn't really matter in Fl because their F is cheaper than the competition's G

Back