Please critique my telemarketing script

Ok I like that pitch. Makes a lot of sense!

What happens when you get business owners with a group plan already in place and they dont want to look at individual? I usually ask when their renewals come up so that I can throw on my bid. Do you even mess with small group?

I thank them for their time and hang-up if they are not interested in looking at individual plans. I don't have a strong desire to mess with groups of 1-4 unless I have to in order to get somebody insured. MD has a great risk pool plan, so unless somebody wants all the bells and whistles I recommend against group.

Unfortunately, the so called risk pool plan in PA has a really long waiting list----1 to 2 years is what I have been told. Also, it is not cheap. Both Aetna and BX have individual HMO plans now, but if the individual is self-employed I try to place them in a "sole proprietor" one-person group plan.

Unfortunately, the so called risk pool plan in PA has a really long waiting list----1 to 2 years is what I have been told. Also, it is not cheap. Both Aetna and BX have individual HMO plans now, but if the individual is self-employed I try to place them in a "sole proprietor" one-person group plan.

Yes, Arny, we did have the pleasure of experiencing that a few months ago. Maryland is the only state that I know of right now that has an outstanding risk pool. They revamped some of the benefits recently and can compete with most individual plans on an apples to apples comparison. The last applicant I sent over recently took about 2 weeks to get approved.

The GI plans in PA also do not have much in the way of outpatient benefits and they are ungodly expensive.

Last edited:
1. "BROKER" - I never use the word "broker" most people associate the word broker with fees

I 10,000% agree. I never use broker or even word insurance. I always replace it with coverage, medical. Work insurance has a negative association to it by most people.

When I call I say that "I am a representative for the major insurance companies in your area." or even better one that I use is "I am a local representative for Blue Cross, Blue Shield, Kaiser" (works for California) everyone familiar with those names and you get instant brand recognition. Chances are the person you are going to be talking to has one of those companies. That does not mean that you have to sell a plan through any of the companies you mentioned, all it does is give you credibility. People get phone calls from companies life MEGA Life & Scam vs you, they will be more inclined to listen to you.

Ok I like that pitch. Makes a lot of sense!

What happens when you get business owners with a group plan already in place and they dont want to look at individual? I usually ask when their renewals come up so that I can throw on my bid. Do you even mess with small group?

If they already have a group plans all you say is "great" and ask them who they have it through (insurance company) and how much they are paying. If possible and the person you are speaking with knows the name of the plan... even better. That gives me all the tools I would need to see if there are better options and theres almost always are. It is your responsibility to keep up on the options that are available. I have agent that swiches groups all days long from old ppo plans that they had for a while to HSA plans. If you educate employer and do a small group presentation for employees there has not been a time when I had some one tell me that it did not make sense for them do go for it. I did had cases that did not end up going through just because of the some employees were whining about it.

I like to work with groups that currently have coverage in place than the once that don't. Even if the person says that they are happy with a current plan I would still ask them if I could take a look at their plan to make sure they are getting a best deal. Worst case scenario I will get broker of record assigned to me if they do not have an agent.

Why is everyone so anti-small group? It works well in California, and they are pretty easy to write. Granted, they don't pay very well, but they tend to be better plans.

I guess I have a different view, since health insurance is only a piece of what I sell to a business owner. I want to make sure the employees are taken care of.

I have written several small groups in the last year. I replace IFP with group coverage.

Dan

Hello, is Mr. XXXXX available please? This is J.R. with Mid Atlantic Health Plans. Instead of going into a long winded sales pitch, can I tell you what I do in 30 seconds and then you can decide if we should talk further?..........I appreciate it.

I own a small home-based health insurance agency here in Laurel where I specialize in offering individual and family health plans to small business owners. There are some new plans that have come out with lower rates that are allowing me to save clients 20%-35% off their premiums, while providing a chance to custom design your coverage so you don’t pay for things you don’t want. I'd like to send you the details so you can discover what's available and compare your options. Do you currently have an individual or family plan? Proceed to qualify or schedule a first-in appointment.

Salespro-​

I like your opening. The key to the opening is to throw the prospect off balance and open a conversation. The most common way to do this professionally is to be completely honest. My opening is similar to yours:​

"Hi is John (prospect's first name) available? This is Delta calling, I'm a salesman and I'm calling you as a cold call. Do you have 30 seconds for me to tell you why I called and then you can decide whether or not we should talk further?"​

Next, dig for PAIN: (talk in a sincere voice) "John, a number of business owners I have been talking to lately are frusterated at what they're paying for their health coverage. It may have started out reasonable, but it's become a monster. Or they may not be hurt by what they're currently paying, but they want to limit future increases. Are either of those a concern for you?"​

At this point, throw away the script,, feed off the prospects responses. Dig deeper for PAIN.​

Then after you find some pain, close for a meeting:​

"John, would you mind if I make a suggestion? (wait for response) Why don't we get together, take a look at your current plan, and if I can help, I'll tell you, and if I can't, I'll tell you that to. Does that sound reasonable?"​

Salespro, do what works for you, but I'd make a suggestion. Don't waste your time putting anything together until you find some pain and committment. No pain, no sale. I do group and individual sales, but I don't show a proposal until I have a committment to put in application(s). For example, "John I'll take a look, if it looks like there are some savings, the first step is to put in an application to get an offer back from the insurance company. At that point, we decide to either accept or reject it. If there are savings available, would you be comfortable, putting in an applicaiton?"​

I'm not doing anything unless I have some committment. If they aren't comfortable yet, I'll confront it at this point, not after I've already done the legwork, so they can go back to their current agent or direct. I don't play that game anymore and I'm happier because of it.​

Latest posts

Back