Please critique my telemarketing script

I know opening like

Hi is this ____________. Hello My name is _____________ and I am a local representative for Blue Cross, Blue Shield, Kaiser (what ever else or mentions the big insurance companies in your area). Just wanted to follow up to make sure you are not over paying for your health coverage. Wait for their response. Than go in to qualifying them by asking questions about their plan.

Hello, is Mr. XXXXX available please? This is J.R. with Mid Atlantic Health Plans. Instead of going into a long winded sales pitch, can I tell you what I do in 30 seconds and then you can decide if we should talk further?..........I appreciate it.

I own a small home-based health insurance agency here in Laurel where I specialize in offering individual and family health plans to small business owners. There are some new plans that have come out with lower rates that are allowing me to save clients 20%-35% off their premiums, while providing a chance to custom design your coverage so you don’t pay for things you don’t want. I'd like to send you the details so you can discover what's available and compare your options. Do you currently have an individual or family plan? Proceed to qualify or schedule a first-in appointment.

Salespro-​

I like your opening. The key to the opening is to throw the prospect off balance and open a conversation. The most common way to do this professionally is to be completely honest. My opening is similar to yours:​

"Hi is John (prospect's first name) available? This is Delta calling, I'm a salesman and I'm calling you as a cold call. Do you have 30 seconds for me to tell you why I called and then you can decide whether or not we should talk further?"​

Next, dig for PAIN: (talk in a sincere voice) "John, a number of business owners I have been talking to lately are frusterated at what they're paying for their health coverage. It may have started out reasonable, but it's become a monster. Or they may not be hurt by what they're currently paying, but they want to limit future increases. Are either of those a concern for you?"​

At this point, throw away the script,, feed off the prospects responses. Dig deeper for PAIN.​

Then after you find some pain, close for a meeting:​

"John, would you mind if I make a suggestion? (wait for response) Why don't we get together, take a look at your current plan, and if I can help, I'll tell you, and if I can't, I'll tell you that to. Does that sound reasonable?"​

Salespro, do what works for you, but I'd make a suggestion. Don't waste your time putting anything together until you find some pain and committment. No pain, no sale. I do group and individual sales, but I don't show a proposal until I have a committment to put in application(s). For example, "John I'll take a look, if it looks like there are some savings, the first step is to put in an application to get an offer back from the insurance company. At that point, we decide to either accept or reject it. If there are savings available, would you be comfortable, putting in an applicaiton?"​

I'm not doing anything unless I have some committment. If they aren't comfortable yet, I'll confront it at this point, not after I've already done the legwork, so they can go back to their current agent or direct. I don't play that game anymore and I'm happier because of it.​

I appreciate the kind words because I borrowed some of the material from you and reworded some things to match my way of talking. I also agree about not putting together any proposals until you find the pain and have some sort of commitment. I say the same thing in a different want by letting people know that I will let them know one way or another if I can help them or not. If I can, I ask for a commitment. Some business owners are comfortable with that, whereas others need a little hand holding.

The part I finally realized was that the business owners that aren't willing to give you a committment are very unlikely to do business with you anyway. They're usually holding back information or lieing about something (current agent, medical condition, no interest). The diamond in the rough you may find isn't worth the mental headache of sorting through the losers. I ask for committment and every once in a while a waiver for the "special circumstances", and quickly realize I should have stuck to my guns.

Ok how about this one?
....I have been saving most of my Clients at least 30-40% off their current premiums.

Everyone and his dog uses this claim. Can you back it up with proof if asked?

Blue Cross, Kaiser, HealthNet offer the same prices to the same agents for the same number of people.

If you and I put a bid in on the same company, for the same number of employees, same premiums etc., how are you going to beat me with price?

IMO, using 20,30,40% discount offers is old, tired, and, in many cases unprovable.

Surely there's a better way?

IMO, using 20,30,40% discount offers is old, tired, and, in many cases unprovable.

I personally just say: "I've spoken to a lot of small business owners lately who are frusterated with their health insurance premiums and I wanted to see if it's a concern of yours?"

If yes, I ask them questions about their plan. You can open up leads without having to make any % claims. In fact, I tell people that I don't even know if I can help them, but if it's a big enough concern, I can take a look and let them know either way.

Everyone and his dog uses this claim. Can you back it up with proof if asked?

Blue Cross, Kaiser, HealthNet offer the same prices to the same agents for the same number of people.

If you and I put a bid in on the same company, for the same number of employees, same premiums etc., how are you going to beat me with price?

Exactly... What kind of dummy would fall for this line? If the BO or SE is this naive, he won't make it in the business world. First of all, how do you know you can save this guy anything? You don't know what he is paying... suppose he is paying less than the lowest price product you have in your line? What are you going to do then?

Be honest. Be truthful. Tell him you will do your best to find a way to lower his cost. That's all you can do.

This is like the Geico commercial - 'Our average customer saved $588 a year when they switched' (or whatever company claims this).

The reason is, if you don't save someone a reasonable amount of $$$$, they don't have the desire to switch.

On the other hand, I just wrote a health policy for a family at $350 a month. Saved them a ton of money, they were paying over $1100 a month..... Oh yeah, I sold them the $1100 a month plan a year ago, but their situation changed.

A year ago, they needed a group plan due to cobra expiring and a daughter who needed expensive surgery. We looked at all the costs involved, and put them on a plan with 0.00 out of pocket for the surgery and even though it was a higher premium per month, it was the same money overall for a year.... if anything else was needed (and they had another baby at 0.00 cost), that would put them ahead.

Everything is good now, moved them to an HSA group plan this year, saving them a lot of monthly premium.

My point? Lower premiums don't mean lower out of pocket. Lower premiums don't necessarily mean money saved. Prospects have a pain point that you need to find to get them to budge, this is usually premium, but not always.

Dan

There is a website that I found which promotes an awesome change in thinking for cold calling and sales at "unlock the game.com" I am not affiliated with them in anyway. I foune them about a week ago and really like the information. I am thinking about joining their "inner Circle" group for $77.00 a month.

I"ve only had my license since April. I first signed with a small fraternal insruance company, was scantly trained and then thrown in the field on my own before I was comfortable or ready. Needless to say I didn't stay with them. I am currently with a health insurance brokerage but really would like to re- enter the life and investment game too. I really like the personal needs analysis approach. I recently applied for a Branch Office Adminsitrator positon for Edward Jones and an Administrative/Customer Service Assisitant position for Northwestern Mutual. I feel I would prefer to work in an office and become comfortable before selling myself.

Does anyone have an opinion or advice about working with Northwestern Mutual or Edward Jones.

T

I recently applied for a Branch Office Adminsitrator positon for Edward Jones and an Administrative/Customer Service Assisitant position for Northwestern Mutual. I feel I would prefer to work in an office and become comfortable before selling myself.

This won't teach you anything about being successful on the sales side. You won't get where you want to be by being comfortable.

There is a website that I found which promotes an awesome change in thinking for cold calling and sales at "unlock the game.com" I am not affiliated with them in anyway. I foune them about a week ago and really like the information. I am thinking about joining their "inner Circle" group for $77.00 a month.

I'm vaguely familiar with the company, but have heard good things. The little exposure from their website makes me think it's similar to Sandler. If so, very good material IF used.

Have you tried his recommendations yet? I've been reading some authors lately based on what was recommended on this forum and found Ari's stuff while I was researching.
His stuff's pretty 'revolutionary' IMO. e.g.

Don't ever start out with an introduction.
Don't act enthusiastic.
Throw away all scripts.
Don't ever ask questions that require yes/no answer.
Don't try to close for appointment.
Don't try to promote or pitch anything.
Never try to overcome objections etc.

Basically do everything opposite of what I've been taught.
Some crazy ideas.

Back