Please critique my telemarketing script

There is a lot of good advice in this thread. The only thing I can add is that you need to keep it conversational. You should only talk for about 30 seconds at a time before pausing and letting the other person talk. It must be an ebb and flow. If you find yourself in a monologue, you are most likely doing something wrong.

Also, if you are in a state that allows it, get a tape recorder and record your calls so you can review them later. It is critical you understand EXACTLY how you sound and you won't be able to do that without actually hearing it.

Michael Levy
Chairman and Founder
MostChoice.com, Inc.
http://www.mostchoice.com

Yup, when all else fails, and you don't have the skills to do it straight up...just trick 'em.
LOL! I can see the humor in that! I think I should clarify what I meant.

Actually, when I have a lead in front of me and I call them, I will tell them that I have been assigned to help them. That approach works much better than telling someone "I got you as a lead" or "I purchased your information off of the internet" etc.

I would typically say something like "Hi Mr Jones, my name is Mr. Smith and I received your inquiry for health insurance and I have been assigned to help you."

You have to remember, many people that are inputting their information into a form online believe that they are already contacting either an insurance company, an agency, or an agent. For the most part, these people do not realize that their info will be sold to multiple agents and by having me contacting them asap and letting them know that I have been "assigned" to help them takes other competing agents off of the table since they "already have one" when the other agents call, and it helps the client relax and realize that someone is there for them to help them vs trying to actually sell them something. People hate to be sold to, but they love to be helped!

You have to remember, many people that are inputting their information into a form online believe that they are already contacting either an insurance company, an agency, or an agent. For the most part, these people do not realize that their info will be sold to multiple agents and by having me contacting them asap and letting them know that I have been "assigned" to help them takes other competing agents off of the table since they "already have one" when the other agents call, and it helps the client relax and realize that someone is there for them to help them vs trying to actually sell them something. People hate to be sold to, but they love to be helped!

That's not cold calling. Someone consciously entering their information into an online database with the expectation that you will call is a warm lead (we hope), not a cold-call. A cold call is a solicitation method where you are trying to create a sale from someone who is not actively looking for your product. Calling random business numbers in the phone book is "cold-calling." Calling internet leads is not usually (or shouldn't be) considered a cold call.

I mentioned this on another thread but how does cold calling work with Gen Y? How affected has cold calling been in light of the no calls lists? Are you straight cold calling or are you getting leads from a list provider with individuals that have shown some interested in the product you are offering.

That's not cold calling. Someone consciously entering their information into an online database with the expectation that you will call is a warm lead (we hope), not a cold-call. A cold call is a solicitation method where you are trying to create a sale from someone who is not actively looking for your product. Calling random business numbers in the phone book is "cold-calling." Calling internet leads is not usually (or shouldn't be) considered a cold call.

I know what cold calling is. I have done my share of it. I didn't get the impression that a script had to be used just for cold calling. A script can be used and modified for which ever type of potential client you are talking to.

Back