Please Educate Me on how to Shop for Life Insurance

Young man, you are experiencing what any agent understands, whether they behave in such a way or not. What you need to know is that it is not a matter of hating YOU, but of us agents hating the BEHAVIOR exhibited! Those who would have the world think there is no need for an agent. They go to the internet to purchase, then come to us for sound direction after the fact! I initially had similar thoughts as some of my fellow agents; then I recalled something an old vet in the industry told me: every client is just like us; allow them to be foolish, and then forgive them. They don't know any better!
Ours is not fly-by-night exercise; the good ones study the craft, ask proper questions, and contribute to as well as learn from some of the best in the business. And we are professionals! If WE have to ask questions about the craft, YOU need us to address the issues! But you have betrayed the trust of any agent who takes pride in what we do, so some of us refuse to help you.
Some shopping basics: answer the question WHY do I need this amount of insurance?; is this amount realistic and achievable?; is there a future goal I need help achieving? what is the cost, and how can I configure my plan to achieve my goals? One simple generic answer - An agent; captive or indy, doesn't matter!

No feelings hurt here. It just funny how you guys react and assuming that when someone get a quote, you assume they've purchased.

You can continue have fun with this thread.

No feelings hurt here. It just funny how you guys react and assuming that when someone get a quote, you assume they've purchased.

You pay nothing for the paramed....but do you think they work for free?

You applied for an insurance policy. Which is completely different than receiving a quote.

You made a commitment that is costing someone a few hundred dollars in out of pocket expenses.

You applied for an insurance policy. Which is completely different than receiving a quote. You made a commitment that is costing someone a few hundred dollars in out of pocket expenses.

But he isn't paying it so no skin off his back. Maybe his time just isn't as valuable as others. Or he really doesn't care what it costs others both in time and money.

It's just the fact that purchasing a life insurance policy is not like buying a nice vacuum, testing it and then trying another. There is quite a bit involved in every aspect. And as most agents have stated here already several factors. You made a pre-buying commitment to one agent and do not either A: have confidence in your agent. B: Know anything about what you did. C: Approaching a situation without having a professional guide you and actually earning your business. Much like calling 1-800 attorney now hotline then trying to be your own counsel based on picking several minds at no costs to you. NOT RIGHT!
However, The silver lining to this is that you have time to cancel the para-mend and walk into your local insurance office and sit down with an experienced agent and let him begin the discovery of. What? Why? How? When? Can?

Regards! S-W

Never expect someone to put a higher value upon your time than you are willing to put on theirs.

Assuming OP has dropped out, I just want to say that I run into this a lot, where people think that they are still shopping, even while having a paramed exam scheduled. Some agencies have the applicant sign the application at the time of the exam, so that the Insured is unaware that they are applying until that point.

Assuming OP has dropped out, I just want to say that I run into this a lot, where people think that they are still shopping, even while having a paramed exam scheduled. Some agencies have the applicant sign the application at the time of the exam, so that the Insured is unaware that they are applying until that point.

Same here. They believe that the exam is so that they can get a firmer quote. Kinda like the "Let's just get you examiner and see were you fit, no obligation" Sale. Deceptive to me. The range they are quoted usually has nothing to do with reality.

Back