Please Help, I Need Some Good Advice

I am brand new to this forum, in fact this is my 1st post. I am a 56 year old "career changer". Have been either self-employed or engaged in outside sales for most of my life. I most recently spent 8 years in the very volatile Oil & Gas industry until I was laid off in February. Am considering my options and trying to make an informed decision. Possible opportunities are 1.) New Agency Owner with Farmers Insurance, 2.) Agent Intern position at American National Insurance, 3.) Financial/Insurance Adviser at Prudential, 4.) Independent Agent working for a broker emphasizing Final Expense and other Life Insurance products and 5.) Franchise opportunity at Goosehead Insurance. I am located in SW PA near Pittsburgh and I am just weighing my options. I would very sincerely appreciate your input/feedback and thank you in advance for your responses.
Go independent, because you can run your own show. You make your own money. Visit your local library. Read as many books as possible about life insurance.Start-out by going door to door. Build up a client base. Ask for referrals. If you need more information, call me and I will be glad to help.

I think one thing to consider is your personality and energy levels. Would you prefer staying in an office most of the time and being part of a community or do you prefer being out on the open road doing final expense. Also, your energy levels are an important factor. In 10-15 years (which goes by so fast ) you will be 65-70. Will you want to be in an office going forward or out on the road. Some people hate to stay in an office and some hate to work alone on the road. That's one consideration.
I would heed the advise to check out the other areas of the Forum to research certain companies. I did that when I was considering going with an agency and what was said on the Forums was spot on about that brand of agency I was considering . If FE and the open road sounds good to you, do check out David Duford.
I am 73 and still go out in the field to work. However, I will have to say my energy level is nowhere near what it was when I was 50..

Go independent, because you can run your own show. You make your own money. Visit your local library. Read as many books as possible about life insurance.Start-out by going door to door. Build up a client base. Ask for referrals. If you need more information, call me and I will be glad to help.
I would not recommend any complete neophyte try to get started in the insurance business by simply going to the library and reading books on the subject. :no:

I would... if your library is The American College. You can take out intra-library book loans, if your local library supports it and you're a student of The American College.

TAC Digital Commons | The American College Research

Vane B. Lucas Memorial Library | The American College

Otherwise, your local library would be a complete waste of time.
I would not recommend even that to a neophyte.. Nothing wrong with the college and its programs but they will not take the place of getting with a company, a program or a mentor that will give you hands on training in the field. That is one reason it is a shame the debit companies have,, by and large, gone the way of the dinosaur.. Most of the successful ordinary agents I have known over the years got their initial start on the debit.. Those that didn't began in captive ordinary situations. Can't think of any that just started with a book.

Reactions: DHK
I am brand new to this forum, in fact this is my 1st post. I am a 56 year old "career changer". Have been either self-employed or engaged in outside sales for most of my life. I most recently spent 8 years in the very volatile Oil & Gas industry until I was laid off in February. Am considering my options and trying to make an informed decision. Possible opportunities are 1.) New Agency Owner with Farmers Insurance, 2.) Agent Intern position at American National Insurance, 3.) Financial/Insurance Adviser at Prudential, 4.) Independent Agent working for a broker emphasizing Final Expense and other Life Insurance products and 5.) Franchise opportunity at Goosehead Insurance. I am located in SW PA near Pittsburgh and I am just weighing my options. I would very sincerely appreciate your input/feedback and thank you in advance for your responses.
Contact Lincoln Heritage, this is one of the top final expense companies in the country. Try to find out what programs they have available that might be a good fit for you.

Contact Lincoln Heritage, this is one of the top final expense companies in the country. Try to find out what programs they have available that might be a good fit for you.

Dude didn't you just recommend someone go indy??? He's def a troll. Probably Golinni haha!

Back