Please Help Me! New to the Industry

JohnC

Hello, I have been reading the forums and find a lot of useful information here and hope somebody can help me. I am new to the industry - totally new. I am currently looking for a job. Currently hold the 440 and am waiting to take the state exam for the 215.
I have knocked on a few doors looking for employment and a few of the agents have told me "Why don't you just go independent with your 215? Grab a list, make some phone calls, get appointments"
Am I missing something? Are they oversimplifying the process or am I over-complicating the process in my head?
Just a little background, I am in Miami, not afraid to knock on doors, make phone calls etc. Should I go this route (without experience) or should I go work for an agency?
What would be the Pro's and Con's
P.S. This forum is full of knowledgeable agents with a lot of info and experience. Please Help.
:err:

What were your thoughts when you decided to get your license in the first place?

What line of insurance were you looking to get into?
- Life & Health?
- Property & Casualty?
- Employee Benefits?
- Retirement & Financial Planning?
- Final Expense & Medicare Supplements?

It'll be easier to give you ideas and advice once we know which direction you see yourself heading in.

DHK, you seem to be pretty knowledgable and experienced in the industry. What would you recommend for a new agent getting in retirement and financial planning, I totally see the need for this. Especially with so many people not having a clue, is there a training program or classes you can take to further your education in this field. Would you recommend the insurance pro shop? They have training set of disc you can buy, is this a good way to go, are they a reputable training site with the right education tools? Thanks FDML, another new agent.

DHK
Thanks for helping. My initial thoughts were to get into Final expense and Supplements. I am also looking to work with small business owners and their employees.
My first impressions have been a little surprising. I have been to a few independent agencies here in Miami and have asked about training and such and the answers have been "just bring them in and we will take care of the rest", "I can sell you some marketing and sales systems" and my personal favorite "you call all your friends and family and then wait for referrals". All agencies are independent - have not been able to get an interview with the major players - yet.
I know sales and do not need my "hand held" but, how can I sell when I don't know the product and the terms (underwriting).
I plan on buying some targeted lists and a few leads once I get appointed and hit the streets.
Any advice will be highly appreciated. I will succeed in this business and will not let a few pebbles get in the way of my journey.

Hello, I have been reading the forums and find a lot of useful information here and hope somebody can help me. I am new to the industry - totally new. I am currently looking for a job. Currently hold the 440 and am waiting to take the state exam for the 215.
I have knocked on a few doors looking for employment and a few of the agents have told me "Why don't you just go independent with your 215? Grab a list, make some phone calls, get appointments"
Am I missing something? Are they oversimplifying the process or am I over-complicating the process in my head?
Just a little background, I am in Miami, not afraid to knock on doors, make phone calls etc. Should I go this route (without experience) or should I go work for an agency?
What would be the Pro's and Con's
P.S. This forum is full of knowledgeable agents with a lot of info and experience. Please Help.
:err:

I'm in Hallandale.

Come up with a game plan and go for it!

The Miami market for insurance is SUPER SATURATED so I drive 2-3 hours away to make my 6 Figures. Shoot me an email if you want to have a short conversation about how it's going to be pretty much IMPOSSIBLE for a new guy to make any REAL money selling insurance in Miami. lol

[email protected]

Agentguy5
Thank you for your post. Yes, the Miami market is saturated. That to me tells me that there is business and that business is good. If you study the Miami market there are a few things that stand out, customer service, comes to mind. The Miami market is infamous for it's lack of customer service so it would be beneficial to provide outstanding customer service to stand out.
I refuse to believe that it would be impossible, will it be difficult? Yes. Is there potential? Yes.
John C

----------

DHK
I posted a response earlier, new to the forums, getting used to posting.
Planning on entering the final expense market. I have been to a few independent agencies and the training provided is basically "bring them in and we will take care of the rest"," "I can sell you some marketing and sales systems" and my personal favorite "just call all your friends and family and wait for referrals"
I do not need my "hand held" and am comfortable in the sales process, opening conversations. I do need help in understanding the marketing of the insurance industry - what moves people to purchase.
It would also be good to know what I am selling and what the terms of the sale will be (example: company X allows a smoker or other stipulation)
I am not afraid to work hard, knock doors, make phone calls, etc what I don't want is to fall into the trap that I have seen not only in this industry but in many others as well - where the lack of training or otherwise leads agents to purchase expensive marketing and sales systems, leads, programs and then leave the industry frustrated and having lost some money.
John C

So a vet with first hand experience breaks it down for you and you disagree with him? You are new to this. Should have took him up on that phone conversation.

Can't fix stupid! Next!

I was thinking the same thing. A guy killing it in the thing he wants to do. Has worked in the area he is asking about. Offers to spend his time discussing how he can successfully compete with him and he already knows better?

Me to my teenaged boys - "OK, you win, you are correct, good luck"

Sorry if I came on as not being receptive. I see the Miami market and know that there is business to be sold. I just see a lot of opportunity here. I apologize.

Back