Please Help Me Understand No Fault Auto Insurance

iiinycboi

Guru
100+ Post Club
So let say you were in a car and got rear ended because the guy in the back is not paying attention when you stopped for traffic.

in a no fault state, your insurance pays your medical bills?

now what is the insurance on the car at fault covers with it's bodily injury?

Does your own insurance pays for your medical first then you get it back from the at fault insurance?

NY is funny. No fault isn't want most people think.

What no-fault really does is give the insured access to use their own insurance to cover the cost of their own medical expenses even if they were at fault. For example, in VA I can only go after my medical payments coverage ($10k limit) vs in NY I had 50K no fault that I could claim on, even if the accident was my fault.

How long ago did you go through your licensing? Are you a one man shop? You probably should have someone local that can help you with this stuff, especially because NY is a bit tricky.

In the situation you described, the other guys insurance would pay for your injury. If they didn't have coverage you have your UI/UM coverage along with your no fault to go on. The driver, if he hurt himself, would then be able to go after his/her no fault as well, even though they were at fault.

That help?

I've been open for a little over 8months but i have a mentor that helps me out but hes been quite busy lately. And i just like to spark up threads regarding questions lol.One man shop.

So in this situation the medical bills we can claim our own insurance or go after the other guy to pay for medical and injuries? Or does my insurance automatically has to take over my own medical bills.

Do they go after at fault afterwards? This no fault stuff is a bit tricky.

I know you can claim up to 50k on your own insurance, but do you get the option to go use the other parties insurance if he was 100% at fault.

I found some article saying you can only claim your own insurance and not sue (other party) for non econimcal damages.

First things first: If the other party is at fault and the other party has insurance, then it will pay.

If you are at fault, you rear end someone and are 100% at fault, you can still go after that $50k. (You can actually buy an additional $25k AFTER the accident as long as you do it before the first $50k is exhausted).

Think of it like this, no fault is insurance that will pay if nothing else will, no matter who else is at fault.

This is a bit tricky, you're probably better off googling it (NY specific rules) or waiting for your mentor to be free enough to explain it to you. You probably want to make an adjuster friend that can help you with this stuff too.

No fault = Must carry your OWN collision coverage. Not to be confused with PIP beneifts (personal injury protection i.e. medical). Every state is obviously different...

No fault = Must carry your OWN collision coverage. Not to be confused with PIP beneifts (personal injury protection i.e. medical). Every state is obviously different...

That's not at all what it means in NY (the state the OP is asking about).

Back