Please post if you are a State Farm Agent

fastrack1

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Okay, I've been reading through the posts and am curious who here is a State Farm agent, like myself. Some I have been able to easily identify. The reason I would like to know is that our environment is unique and I would prefer the input of fellow State Farm agents due to this fact. I would also like to add you to my buddy list because your perspective is valuable to me.

So please post a note if you are a State Farm agent and also maybe mention the contract that you are on. The new TICA contract is obviously a hot topic on this forum. I am on the AA97 contract. :yes:

spouse is a scratch tica too, awful contract -- changes are brewing from what i hear. are you struggling as a scratch or are you getting all that they promised?

Really, come back scratch? You have a 1000 households are you making money yet? The rumor is the new plan is increasing the premium builder percentage .5% and its retroactive. Are you really considering leaving after 3 years?

I'm over $160,000 in debt as a result of becoming a State Farm agent. Because I am now AA05 any improvements to the TICA program will not apply to me so I am SOL!

Better off quitting and coming back scratch then running my 1,000 households with seasoned team and rising expenses.

If I may ask, can you explain how you got into debt? I'm an indie agent but a family friend runs a State Farm agency down the road from my house and they offered to recruit/train me. I declined because I already have a good gig going, but nonetheless I'm curious to know what exactly they had in store for me if I were to drop my existing FMO/Indie carrier contracts and become captive.

I didn't think State Farm agents had expenses because (from what I was told) new agents are given leads, a book of business, training, and sales materials (cards, stickers, etc). Later on, based on personal production, they can open up their own State Farm franchise office. What kind of expenses do you have which got you into that kind of debt?

If I may ask, can you explain how you got into debt? I'm an indie agent but a family friend runs a State Farm agency down the road from my house and they offered to recruit/train me. I declined because I already have a good gig going, but nonetheless I'm curious to know what exactly they had in store for me if I were to drop my existing FMO/Indie carrier contracts and become captive.

I didn't think State Farm agents had expenses because (from what I was told) new agents are given leads, a book of business, training, and sales materials (cards, stickers, etc). Later on, based on personal production, they can open up their own State Farm franchise office. What kind of expenses do you have which got you into that kind of debt?

Please read some of the other threads.

I'm not knockig the opportunity at all. They bought me 300 leads. I purchased 13,000 on my own. Mailed about 3-5K pieces per MONTH.

The book they give you varies widely, and isn't something that can be nailed down in one post.

They will order a small batch of applications and brochures for you at first. Probably $200 in value, but certainly not something worth thousands.

Sounds like the guys down the road wanted you for your ability for personal production. For their numbers. It is a good thing, but that does not automatically qualify you for the opportunity. You still have to go throught he process, but it is possible you will have made some internal contacts along the way.

Word to the wise...don't use the word "franchise". Lots of info on that subject.

As far as how someone gets into that kind of debt, if they give you $1 million, you get $100K. Office rent and expenses vary, but figure 24-36K easy, if not much more. Add an employee or two, mail some things out, and that money is gone.

You do like to eat, drive and sleep under a roof, don't you?

Do the math....

That was 2 contracts ago.

Presently there is NO GUARANTEE other then $18,000 signing bonus.

I was a scratch agent so no renewals, no assignments, and I had to buy my own loeads and pay every single expense. Remmeber I started November 2004.

You can ger a Premium Builder "Bonus" as a scratch agent of UP TO $11,000 monthly is you reach certain threshholds in auto and fire.

Debt comes from annual expenses $24,000 rent, $70,000 payroll, $50,000 marketing budget, $20,000 furniture package $15,000 build out on a space and all the ancilary expenses that go with starting a business

Ouch, I think I'll stick to my cold-calling leads and go on face to face appointments. I don't have mahogany furniture or office plants, but then again, my expenses are $200 a month for my Honda S2000's gas tank. :yes:

It's a shame though.....cause from what they told me sounded sweet....judging from the other threads, it seems that this dream is over, though.

I'm hoping, and am actually betting, they will address the contract issues, not to mention the failed DAFO model.

The market AFEs HATE it, and hate the recruiters. The people the recruiters are bringing in now have a much higher failure rate than in years past when the market brought them in.

SF used to be, and I believe will be, a great place to work again one day. Fix the contract, get experienced management in place (not just in debt former TICAs looking for a parachute out), and realign the DAFO.

The only place for the DAFO is during the intern phase. Once the noobs hit the street, give them to the market. At least the market E's have a vested interest in making you a success, instead of the DAFO pumping every ounce of life out of you by month 12, and spitting you into the market close to burn out and in debt.

I had the full support of my market in getting the contract. There was not much they could do about it.

I know this sounds bitter, but I went in blind and posted for the first thing that came up. Mistake.

I don't care what co or specialty you work. You need good leadership. SF has gotten away from that in theory, design, and practice.

Just be careful

Super G, I'm currently finishing my 5th year commitment in a top producing agency. The agent is going to help me step through the process and says that CT is a prime state to get an agency because SF has no market share there. What r ur thoughts about that? My agent says that I will go into debt for three or four years, but will pay off big time down the road.

Back