Policy limits

hankster017

I have an uninsured motorist policy with $100,000 / $300,000. If the limit is $100,000 per person

and there is only 2 people injured, What is the other $100,000 used for? Can it be tapped by the

2 injured claimants? thankyou

100,000 per person, 300,000 per incident.
The extra hundred does not factor into settlement if only 2 people involved in the car you hit.

thankyou for the reply. Actually I was hit by an uninsured motorist, hit and run. So if my passenger has underinsured motorist on her policy for $50,000 / $100,000 can she file a claim on her insurance? thankyou

thankyou for the reply. Actually I was hit by an uninsured motorist, hit and run. So if my passenger has underinsured motorist on her policy for $50,000 / $100,000 can she file a claim on her insurance? thankyou
If it was in your car you would make a claim on your policy. If she was in her car she would make a claim on her policy. if she was walking across the street she would make a claim on her health policy

Thanks for the replies Fed Up. Let me put the question differently. I was driving MY car, I had 1 passenger. An uninsured motorist pulled in front of me. I hit him and he then left the scene. The State Police determined that I was 0% at fault. ai filed a claim on MY insurance for uninsured motorist. On my policy you said that I could only collect on the $200,000 limit. That being said, my passenger has on her auto insurance, underinsured motorist, If my insurance doesnt cover her bills and pain and suffering can she file on her insurance for underinsured motorist, which would be me. For the record we were just two innocent people who were victims of a hit and run driver. We are not lying or doing anything dishonest. We just want what is a fair settlement.. I don't think that's asking to much is it?
thanks for the reply

Thanks for the replies Fed Up. Let me put the question differently. I was driving MY car, I had 1 passenger. An uninsured motorist pulled in front of me. I hit him and he then left the scene. The State Police determined that I was 0% at fault. ai filed a claim on MY insurance for uninsured motorist. On my policy you said that I could only collect on the $200,000 limit. That being said, my passenger has on her auto insurance, underinsured motorist, If my insurance doesnt cover her bills and pain and suffering can she file on her insurance for underinsured motorist, which would be me. For the record we were just two innocent people who were victims of a hit and run driver. We are not lying or doing anything dishonest. We just want what is a fair settlement.. I don't think that's asking to much is it?
thanks for the reply
If I understand your question correctly, you each have substantial injuries and required medical intervention. When ALL of your bills have been collected and they are submitted to your carrier for payment under UM your bills would be paid and you MAY get a settlement offer for pain and suffering which could be as much as 2 1/2 X the total of your bills not to exceed the 100K on your policy. The only way she MAY get alarger offer would be if your coverage is LESS than she carries on her policy and her policy then gets kicked in for Under Insured coverage. You have no protection under her policy for this accident.
Each of you would need to show at least 35000 in medical bills for this to work to you benefit and remember that no insurance carrier wants to stroke a check to anyone. Your carrier is not going to arbitrarily write you a $100,000 check just because you were in an accident. My motorcycle accident in 2005left me with 4 days in the hospital, surgery on my shoulder and over 35K in total medical bills.If you have bumps and bruises and need a little physical therapy you wont get near 35K

thankyou, that pretty much explained everything I needed to know.
One other thing I thought about as I was driving to work. If you have medical bills the settlement pays those first out of the liability limits unless you used your healthcare insurance. If you used heathcare they can and will ask to be reimbursed out of any settlement you receive. So, if you had 10K in bills and used BS/BS to cover your bills and you receive a $40K settlement, BC/BS can force you to repay the 10K out of the 40K you receive so your net is 30K

Thanks for the info. I had $5,000 in med. coverage. My passengers bills were in the $40,000 range. The insurance co. has paid the 5000. Will they pay the rest out of the
money left over from the 100,000 / 300, 000 policy. I would think they would. thankyou again for your answers.

How are the passengers bills currently being paid? There will not be any settlement offer until the bills are all paid and the claim is closed. Your passenger and you may get nothing additional, you will just have to be patient.

Back