Portable Hard drive

WinoBlues

Guru
5000 Post Club
So, while on Covid lock down. I am negative but one of us is positive. . My collage daughter is going to scan my files.

I want a hard drive as well as a cloud solution.

Any suggestions on a portable HD. My plan is to be somewhat of a nomad agent so Portable is big.

GrassyAss

How much space do you need?

A good memory stick may be able to hold all you need. Additionally, google drive may be a good cloud solution. I use both.

Space? - not sure. I have 4 4 drawer file cabinets full of files. Thumb drive would be easier. Going to put everything in a file on the desktop first so I guess I will know then.

Google Drive - that was my plan also just want the warm and functional having something in hand.

Thanks

I have used G drive for years. Very reliable.

I also use Chromebooks almost exclusively. Easy to take with you wherever you go and pick up where you left off. Lightweight. Long battery life. Acer start above $200. I recently upgraded to an HP that is a speedburner. 14 inch display, 1920 x 1080. AC wifi. 8 gig DDR4 ram and 128 gig SSD with AMD Ryzen 3 CPU.

If you use cloud storage there is no need to lug around a heavy laptop.

Mixed results with USB memory sticks, and I have a tendency to lose them. I switched to a portable SSD a few months ago.
Amazon product ASIN B0874XJL6M

I have used G drive for years. Very reliable.

I also use Chromebooks almost exclusively. Easy to take with you wherever you go and pick up where you left off. Lightweight. Long battery life. Acer start above $200. I recently upgraded to an HP that is a speedburner. 14 inch display, 1920 x 1080. AC wifi. 8 gig DDR4 ram and 128 gig SSD with AMD Ryzen 3 CPU.

If you use cloud storage there is no need to lug around a heavy laptop.

Mixed results with USB memory sticks, and I have a tendency to lose them. I switched to a portable SSD a few months ago.
Amazon product ASIN B0874XJL6M

Yeah, my Surface Pro 7 is plenty portable for me. I am thinking of getting a tablet with internet as well for those days I really want to travel lite. Not sure the compromise on size and function. Also best for insurance apps. I am an android and Google guy.

Yeah, my Surface Pro 7 is plenty portable for me. I am thinking of getting a tablet with internet as well for those days I really want to travel lite. Not sure the compromise on size and function. Also best for insurance apps. I am an android and Google guy.

Fyi, you can buy a bluetooth keyboard and mouse set the can connect to the tablet, then plug in the memory stick. That's what I do, but I will probably upgrade to a laptop eventually, and continue using the bluetooth keyboard and mouse. To be clear, to do that you want a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, not just wireless.

Fyi, you can buy a bluetooth keyboard and mouse set the can connect to the tablet, then plug in the memory stick. That's what I do, but I will probably upgrade to a laptop eventually, and continue using the bluetooth keyboard and mouse. To be clear, to do that you want a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, not just wireless.

My Pro does all of that plus the pen. No internet though. I have to tether.

A tablet would be lighter and cheaper in case of loss.

Can you create a hotspot from your cell phone then run the laptop off the wifi signal from the phone?

Yes. That is what I meant by tethering. I am a frail old man and am confused. . So for my laptop / tablet Surface Hotspot works fine.
But a connected tablet seems more useful for my day to day wonderings. It does not take much for me to decide to take a side trip to the beach.

I don't want to learn ipad. I have Samsung Note 10 Plus

For an external hdd, try this:
Amazon product ASIN B08GTYFC37
Its very sturdy and should hold up well to drops, bumps, etc. 1TB should be way more than enough if the pdfs are compressed.

(you could do actual zip drives for the pdfs, or just compress the pdf file itself using 3rd party software)

I second google drive for could storage.

Back