POS Agents GTFO!

TN_agent

Guru
100+ Post Club
Just took a call from a client.

They got a phone call last week from Medicare on an urgent matter. They HAD to make an appointment, there were some changes that had to be discussed . They said that they were already working with an agent and had their coverage for next year. The "medicare representative" said that the plan I had signed them up for the wrong plan and that they would be by to correct that.

The "Medicare representative" was at their house less than 10 minutes, just long enough to collect their information and a signature on a different MAPD than the one I had signed them up on. The wife (who was suspicious because he gave a card on the way out that said "licensed Medicare and life insurance agent) called me today and told me what happened. I asked them, if they were really from Medicare, why didn't they switch their disabled (U65) daughter to the "right" plan, wouldn't they have it in their records as well that she was on Medicare? They are coming in tomorrow to re-sign back up for the original plan, which is better for them based on their prescription needs.

FO you POS agent ruining it for the rest of us. I am taking that sale back. I am going to see if they are willing to file a CMS complaint on him, but they are pretty meek people (perfect pickings for his scam) so I doubt it.

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

YOU agents need to be reporting these doers to your state insurance departments.

Nothing changes until the state yanks their licenses and puts them out of business.

And when the DOI ignores you because you are also an agent? Some respond better to agent complaints than others.

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

YOU agents need to be reporting these doers to your state insurance departments.

Nothing changes until the state yanks their licenses and puts them out of business.

In SC, the DOI does not accept complaints from agents about other agents. It has to be a Consumer who complains. And with situations like this, consumers often dont want to take the time to make a formal complaint.

But I agree with your premise. The industry has to become more proactive about bad apples.

And the general culture within the agent community needs to change as well. Agents are often reluctant to call out shady agents or sales tactics. I used to get bashed all the time on this forum for saying that certain marketing practices were shady and illegal. Other agents accused me of "endangering the livelihood of good hard working men"... when those "hard working men" were using marketing material that was under investigation by multiple state attorney generals.... and were clearly misleading if you have even a shred of common sense. But I was the bad guy for speaking up and saying they are wrong.

I have an idea. Call that agent and say something like, "hey my friend said you helped them with their medicare insurance, and Id like you to come over and talk to my mother and father about their plans, all they have is medicare, and nothing else, they know the deadline is fast approaching, can you come by tomorrow?" and when he gets there, Im sure you can figure out what to say next... :)

Maybe if you really want to crush his hopes, you can tease him on the initial call and ask if he can also talk to your folks about some life insurance...

And when the DOI ignores you because you are also an agent? Some respond better to agent complaints than others.

Doesn't the company you represent have a compliance telephone number? You report them through there and they take it to CMS. DOI's don't give a crap. I was just looking for the CMS compliance number and apparently when I switched appointment books didn't bother to carry it over.

I called our company compliance department last year on two agents and they took it to CMS.

If this guy is a major producer (which he probably is with tactics like that), the carrier isn't going to do anything about it other than to find it "inconclusive" he said/she said. Another of the agents at our agency has been there, done that already with another example of something similar. The only thing that gets results is beneficiary filing with CMS directly.

If this guy is a major producer (which he probably is with tactics like that), the carrier isn't going to do anything about it other than to find it "inconclusive" he said/she said. Another of the agents at our agency has been there, done that already with another example of something similar. The only thing that gets results is beneficiary filing with CMS directly.

Is he with the same carrier you're with? You're right they won't do anything, but if he is not call the compliance department of the carrier you represent, they will report him to CMS. CMS usually listens to corporate. The two last year if they are still doing business in Fl I haven't heard their names in the past few months.

I represent both carriers. Are you saying I call the compliance department of the carrier that HE signed them up with, or the one I signed them up with?

Call the carrier who has the strictest guidelines. :)

Yes, they all follow the baseline rules, but some take compliance and have more actionable plans in place.

Back