POS Agents GTFO!

Just took a call from a client.

They got a phone call last week from Medicare on an urgent matter. They HAD to make an appointment, there were some changes that had to be discussed . They said that they were already working with an agent and had their coverage for next year. The "medicare representative" said that the plan I had signed them up for the wrong plan and that they would be by to correct that.

The "Medicare representative" was at their house less than 10 minutes, just long enough to collect their information and a signature on a different MAPD than the one I had signed them up on. The wife (who was suspicious because he gave a card on the way out that said "licensed Medicare and life insurance agent) called me today and told me what happened. I asked them, if they were really from Medicare, why didn't they switch their disabled (U65) daughter to the "right" plan, wouldn't they have it in their records as well that she was on Medicare? They are coming in tomorrow to re-sign back up for the original plan, which is better for them based on their prescription needs.

FO you POS agent ruining it for the rest of us. I am taking that sale back. I am going to see if they are willing to file a CMS complaint on him, but they are pretty meek people (perfect pickings for his scam) so I doubt it.

Poor, undereducated seniors in San Antonio are constantly harassed that they have to RENEW their coverage and have only until Dec 7!!!

I don't write MA plan, but doesn't the OP have until 12/7 to do the same thing and enroll/re-enroll them in a plan? Doesn't last app in win?

No doubt the POS agent used dirty tactics to steal the client but getting resolution via CMS or DOI complaints before 12/7 is unlikely,

Take your client back.

You have 5 days to do so.

Just took a call from a client.

They got a phone call last week from Medicare on an urgent matter. They HAD to make an appointment, there were some changes that had to be discussed . They said that they were already working with an agent and had their coverage for next year. The "medicare representative" said that the plan I had signed them up for the wrong plan and that they would be by to correct that.

The "Medicare representative" was at their house less than 10 minutes, just long enough to collect their information and a signature on a different MAPD than the one I had signed them up on. The wife (who was suspicious because he gave a card on the way out that said "licensed Medicare and life insurance agent) called me today and told me what happened. I asked them, if they were really from Medicare, why didn't they switch their disabled (U65) daughter to the "right" plan, wouldn't they have it in their records as well that she was on Medicare? They are coming in tomorrow to re-sign back up for the original plan, which is better for them based on their prescription needs.

FO you POS agent ruining it for the rest of us. I am taking that sale back. I am going to see if they are willing to file a CMS complaint on him, but they are pretty meek people (perfect pickings for his scam) so I doubt it.

You will get more action from CMS than from the DOI. Just call CMS with them and let them ask CMS if this person really works for them as he stated.

Is it a Bankers agent? That sounds exactly like how Bankers operates.

If this guy is a major producer (which he probably is with tactics like that), the carrier isn't going to do anything about it other than to find it "inconclusive" he said/she said. Another of the agents at our agency has been there, done that already with another example of something similar. The only thing that gets results is beneficiary filing with CMS directly.

Doesn't matter if they are a major producer or not. If there is a CMS complaint the carriers take it very seriously. Compliance doesn't care about numbers, they care about if agents are doing the right thing. If there is an investigation launched it then becomes a he said/she said. If they carrier finds the results are unsubstantial, then the agent will have to do remedial training and complaint points against them. Too many points in a rolling year can mean eventual termination and loss of renewals. What you have to remember too, is that there are always two sides of a story. Clients get confused about plans, and then think they are locked in in a plan and will lie and file a complaint to try to get out of it.

Doesn't matter if they are a major producer or not. If there is a CMS complaint the carriers take it very seriously. Compliance doesn't care about numbers, they care about if agents are doing the right thing. If there is an investigation launched it then becomes a he said/she said. If they carrier finds the results are unsubstantial, then the agent will have to do remedial training and complaint points against them. Too many points in a rolling year can mean eventual termination and loss of renewals. What you have to remember too, is that there are always two sides of a story. Clients get confused about plans, and then think they are locked in in a plan and will lie and file a complaint to try to get out of it.
All this is fine but it deosn't address the fact that authorities seldom get invovled whe One agent complains about another agent. If they did, they would have to quadruple thier staffs because any agent that loses a case thinks the othr agent must have doen soemthing underhanded. And, even if they don't feel that way, many would submit complaints just to drive th competition out of business.

All this is fine but it deosn't address the fact that authorities seldom get invovled whe One agent complains about another agent. If they did, they would have to quadruple thier staffs because any agent that loses a case thinks the othr agent must have doen soemthing underhanded. And, even if they don't feel that way, many would submit complaints just to drive th competition out of business.
That they would. Most agents are bitches. And piss and moan over losing a sale instead of just writing more business

They came into my office and I signed them back up for the plan with me, last application in will win, I took back the sale.

They are pissed and are moving forward with the CMS complaint. I have had them as clients for 3 years (Obamacare into Medicare) , they said the only reason they signed was that they really thought the man was from Medicare and that a mistake was being corrected. He did not do a "presentation" of the plan, he was there for 10 minutes and then left. He didn't ask about their doctors or medications. They said he seemed like he was in a hurry and barely gave them the time of day, that is why they thought he probably really was from the government. They called me to tell me what happened afterwards, it is not a situation where I am following up and they felt bad about switching and had to make something up about why they switched.

When I referred to carriers not doing anything , I am talking about when they get internal (not through CMS) complaints from one agent against another. If one agent complains (to a carrier, not CMS) about the bad conduct of another agent, if the bad conduct agent is a top seller, the carrier isn't going to do much if anything, that is the experience of another agent I work with. They will do the minimum on an internal investigation, but if the beneficiary never complains, it will be inconclusive.

That bad conduct agent is making a boatload of money for them if he is selling MAPDs with these fraudulent tactics. The beneficiaries aren't likely to call the carrier to complain. Seriously, what are the odds they are going to complain right away if someone has told them they are from Medicare and this is the plan they are required to sign up for? Are they really going to call their carrier and say "I am unhappy with the person from the government who told me I didn't have any other option than your plan". No, they will just suffer through the plan thinking it is their only option until someone educates them. And if they have been on the plan two or three years in the meanwhile, the carrier isn't going to do anything about it at that point and even CMS probably won't either. If it is a halfway decent plan, they may never switch and the bad conduct agent gets to enjoy their fraudulently obtained renewals for a long time.

They came into my office and I signed them back up for the plan with me, last application in will win, I took back the sale.

They are pissed and are moving forward with the CMS complaint. I have had them as clients for 3 years (Obamacare into Medicare) , they said the only reason they signed was that they really thought the man was from Medicare and that a mistake was being corrected. He did not do a "presentation" of the plan, he was there for 10 minutes and then left. He didn't ask about their doctors or medications. They said he seemed like he was in a hurry and barely gave them the time of day, that is why they thought he probably really was from the government. They called me to tell me what happened afterwards, it is not a situation where I am following up and they felt bad about switching and had to make something up about why they switched.

When I referred to carriers not doing anything , I am talking about when they get internal (not through CMS) complaints from one agent against another. If one agent complains (to a carrier, not CMS) about the bad conduct of another agent, if the bad conduct agent is a top seller, the carrier isn't going to do much if anything, that is the experience of another agent I work with. They will do the minimum on an internal investigation, but if the beneficiary never complains, it will be inconclusive.

Dont discount what actions a carrier may take if a Consumer complains. Very few agents are large enough producers that they actually have real sway at the carrier level (more than the average agent). And if one of those handful of guys is engaging in fraudulent business practices, you better believe that carrier wants to get rid of them. There are 1000s of agents waiting to take those clients. The Carrier wont skip a beat on sales.

But a Consumer complaint gets heard a lot louder than Agent complaints. If your clients are willing to complain to CMS, you may want to suggest they complain to the carrier that agent represented in the sale. DOI couldnt hurt either. IF they are willing to then why not.

Dont discount what actions a carrier may take if a Consumer complains. Very few agents are large enough producers that they actually have real sway at the carrier level (more than the average agent). And if one of those handful of guys is engaging in fraudulent business practices, you better believe that carrier wants to get rid of them. There are 1000s of agents waiting to take those clients. The Carrier wont skip a beat on sales.

But a Consumer complaint gets heard a lot louder than Agent complaints. If your clients are willing to complain to CMS, you may want to suggest they complain to the carrier that agent represented in the sale. DOI couldnt hurt either. IF they are willing to then why not.

I disagree with you if your opinion that high number producers are a “dime a dozen”. Few have the know how or drive/work ethic to accomplish so much. Of course, there are cheaters too. We had a high producing United HealthCare Rep who purchased a car for her referral source at her clinic in San Antonio. Her “punishment” was a 1-year suspension from selling UHC. She’s back to selling it, but lost her perch at the Clinic and lays very low

Another one SAME GUY!!

This time he got them on December 6th. She was already enrolled in an MAPD with another carrier. She had been referred to him and wanted to talk about a different MAPD but he still convinced her to sign up with same carrier as my other couple (not the one she wanted to talk about, he told her that her doctor wasn't in network with the other plan--which he IS). She doesn't remember signing SOA or anything like that, he was in a hurry, had to get to other appts....

When she called him on the 8th to say she wanted to cancel and go back to what she had, he said that he didn't think she could do that, nothing he could do, open enrollment was over. He told her that she completely wasted his time and he drove all the way to her house when he could have been helping other people. Her neighbor told her she could cancel the application and go back to what she had, she called me and I confirmed. She has cancelled and gone back to her old plan. I got an AOR on her original plan (her old agent left the business) She is hopping mad!!

Lady wants to know who she can complain to, I gladly gave her carrier information and CMS.

How many CMS complaints will it take before this guy gets shut down??

Last edited:
Back