Positioning - Asking clients to come to your office for appointments vs going to them

BiggitySwat

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Agents,

I was wondering if you've found more success in asking clients to come to your office/facilities or traditionally driving to their home for the first appointment.

My position is going in as a financial advisor (some commission sales and fee-based advising). I offer clients a variety of services, but most common are these:

1) Mortgage protection/insurance services (Life insurance + DI). This is where the majority of my past business came from.
2) Niche alternative investments (Regulation-D accredited only; oil/gas/real estate/1031 TICs/commodities). I have VERY few prospects on my book for these because of the accredation requirements, but they are fine products and my past clients love them.
3) "Blue collar" investment plans. Basic Roth IRA setup, college 529/coverdell for kids, small cash account used to buy blue chip stocks and mutual funds, etc. Small tickets and GDC. I usually do this for my middle class clients after the insurance is taken care of.

Excluding the basic term life insurance applications, most of my other business is far more conducive to the "2 call" appointment setup. For example, when dealing with oil/gas clients, I don't try to sell or close anything in the first appointment: I'm just talking to them about their goals and giving them more info on the investments. However, on the second appointment, I will usually ask for a commitment. Same with annuity sales to seniors - first appointment is for rapport and info only.

Here's the question....if most of my securities business comes from the "2 call" close, and I want to maintain my position as someone not to be stepped on, should I hold steadfast to the clients meeting me at the office? Does this maintain my authority and credibility? Does it give me the control in the relationship? Or is this being too stiff and unreasonable to clients who may just prefer their kitchen table to talk about investing in precious metals?

I have had several prospects, of whom I'm unsure 100% of their seriousness, ask me to come to their homes because of their concerns with time, gas, etc. (But what about MY gas and time? haha). I can either respond professionally and politely with "That's not how I work, I prefer to meet at my place for the first appt" or I can give in and go over to their place to chit chat, not knowing if it will lead to a sale in the future at all, which then wasted my gas and then gives them the authority power in the relationship.....

Control, control, control....at what point do we give it up or take it back when selling what we do..... :twitchy:

Re: Positioning - Asking clients to come to your office for appointments vs going to

Agents,

I have had several prospects, of whom I'm unsure 100% of their seriousness, ask me to come to their homes because of their concerns with time, gas, etc. (But what about MY gas and time? haha). I can either respond professionally and politely with "That's not how I work, I prefer to meet at my place for the first appt" or I can give in and go over to their place to chit chat, not knowing if it will lead to a sale in the future at all, which then wasted my gas and then gives them the authority power in the relationship.....

Control, control, control....at what point do we give it up or take it back when selling what we do..... :twitchy:

I think this is something we all run into at some point. The big question to you is this. If you don't go out to meet with the people what are you going to do instead? Sit in your office with no appointment or are you to busy to meet with these people and something you didn't mention is how far away they are. They know that either they come to you or you come to them only one person YOU get a commission.

These people are not sold on the value you can be for them. You could meet them at there home and set the follow up for your office. If they refuse to meet at your office then its up to you are they worth your time at that point.

Re: Positioning - Asking clients to come to your office for appointments vs going to

If you would like to be perceived as being like the cable and pest control guy, then by all means go to their home.

If you want to be perceived and respected as a professional, do it at your office.

I leave the possibility of going to the client's home as sort of a vague option. When I make appointments at a seminar, I give out a map to the office with the appointment time. There is also a check box for meeting in the home instead. I have not had anyone take me up on it.

If it does come up, I will explain that meeting in the home is an option if someone just can't make it to my office. Most people prefer to come to the office anyway. It certainly is easier on me.

I know many agents who feel that meeting around the kitchen table is an advantage. They tell clients that they would prefer to meet in the home because that is where people keep all their records.

That doesn't work too well for me.

I have done both.

If you are doing seminars and setting appts you should be doing so at your office. I did it that way and as Charpress said...it is a professionalism issue.

But, I do not do seminars any longer and most of my business comes from referals, reply mailings, ect. I exclusively go to homes and have for over a year. I probably miss some of the opportunities, but my overhead is very low, I work when I need to work, and I am making more money than ever.

I will never have a brick and mortar office again, I hope.

A pure financial advisor probably needs an office. Image, professionalism, ect. I don't use my series ___ licenses and don't envy those who do. I make my living selling insurance products. I do it by appointment and I do it in the homes of my clients.

If you can afford to set a tone like you describe with your customers, more power to you. I adapt to the client, I don't force them to adapt to me.

Latest posts

Back