Possible New Agent Here

Ryan0227

Iam 37 years old in MI and I have an opportunnity to become a new agent selling commercial insurance. I have been self employed for 15 years in construction and lawn and landscaping. Looking forward to a new career. I think I have established alot of relationships over the years. I just am unsure as to how receptive business owners are to talking to a green horn agent. Apprciate the advice. Any compensation advice would be good to as I will be negotiating that this week.

Ryan

If you feel like a greenhorn then you'll act like a greenhorn and then you'll be treated like a greenhorn.

The fact is, you've ran a business for 15yrs. You are a business owner, they are business owners. They are your peers. I'm sure you'll work hard and learn fast.

Just remember just because you have contacts doesn't mean your associates will be open to dealing with you in insurance. I spent many years in financial services but 24 years Ago I had to start like everyone else at the bottom and work my way up

Ok thanks for the help. Trying to make decision weather to sell insurance or Pole buildings.
Ryan

Hello from Michigan! What part are you from by the way? I know that where I live or have lived (Traverse City, then Northeastern Michigan) were hit pretty hard by the economic downturn. I wish you the best in your new career (if you choose it). Another thing I heard was in high demand was HVAC work and plumbing. (If you want to go into a trades related field).

Iam in S.W. Michigan. I am drawn to insurance because of renewals year after year. Buildings can have repeat but not like insurance would be. Each year you start over new with a big quota. I just don't know what is a reasonable timeline to make some good money. Iam guessing about three years before I really get rolling. My niche would be concentrating on contractors and landscapers.

Hey Ryan, I am from Michigan and also was a builder. Moved to Mississippi after Katrina because homebuilding was slowing down. Spent 3 years there and decided time to move to Florida where I started a landscape company. I sold it in January.

I have been selling insurance for 3 1/2 years and it is finally starting to pay off. It took about 2 1/2 years to figure out how to make a consistant paycheck.

It's hard work but less stressful than building and I love what I do!
Good Luck!!!

Back