Possible Opportunity for TN Agents

I hate these things. This is the third one of these in the last 3 years around here. We get tons of angry retirees calling our office looking for free advice and sucking down our time during AEP. 100 people at 5 minutes a call till you can figure out they are a retiree who is required to purchase through an exchange is still a ton of time--I actually had a guy waste about 2 hours of my time during AEP asking tons of questions about a specific MAPD plan pretending he only was on original Medicare and I did the full presentation got to the "so, are you ready to sign up" and he says, oh, I am one of the XXX retirees, I just wanted to get some face to face help, I have to sign up through them. Thanks for your help.

Pi$$ed me off royally. Closest I have come to cussing someone to their face.

I hate these things. This is the third one of these in the last 3 years around here. We get tons of angry retirees calling our office looking for free advice and sucking down our time during AEP. 100 people at 5 minutes a call till you can figure out they are a retiree who is required to purchase through an exchange is still a ton of time--I actually had a guy waste about 2 hours of my time during AEP asking tons of questions about a specific MAPD plan pretending he only was on original Medicare and I did the full presentation got to the "so, are you ready to sign up" and he says, oh, I am one of the XXX retirees, I just wanted to get some face to face help, I have to sign up through them. Thanks for your help.

Pi$ me off royally. Closest I have come to cussing someone to their face.

I never could understand that mentality, I feel bad asking an hourly paid in store person a question If I know before hand I will not buy in that store

"Name Brands" only. Interesting they have to call AARP/UHC for rates rather than publishing them. I would be interested to see if they are the same as they are if agent sales policy.

Certainly looks like there are better alternatives to be found.

I never could understand that mentality, I feel bad asking an hourly paid in store person a question If I know before hand I will not buy in that store

Why would you feel bad for the hourly person? They get paid no matter what. I would feel bad doing that to a commission person. If I'm shopping for a product that I may eventually buy online, the first thing I tell the salesperson at the big box store is,

"I don't want to waste your time. I can get this for $XXX price online. Can you match that price? If not, then I shouldn't waste your time because I won't buy it here".

That way I'm being upfront about my intentions. Many times they can match the price so it's a win-win.

As it pertains to all things Medicare, I try and get to the particulars as quickly as possible when they call. What is your current coverage? Is it through an employer sponsored plan? If it is, then the next question is do they allow you to purchase outside of the plan and still provide you with the reimbursement for premiums, etc? If the answer is no, I simply tell them I am unable to help. I can get that knocked out fairly quickly. I have no time to waste during AEP. And I'm sure most of you feel the same way. In the past, because my nature is to help people, I would try and advise them on which plan they should choose through their retiree plan. But for the last several years, I've had to tell them I just can't assist as I need to focus my attention on the clients who help me earn a living. It's possible to say all that in a way that the person asking for help can appreciate. For the most part anyway.

Why would you feel bad for the hourly person? They get paid no matter what. I would feel bad doing that to a commission person. If I'm shopping for a product that I may eventually buy online, the first thing I tell the salesperson at the big box store is,

"I don't want to waste your time. I can get this for price online. Can you match that price? If not, then I shouldn't waste your time because I won't buy it here".

That way I'm being upfront about my intentions. Many times they can match the price so it's a win-win.

As it pertains to all things Medicare, I try and get to the particulars as quickly as possible when they call. What is your current coverage? Is it through an employer sponsored plan? If it is, then the next question is do they allow you to purchase outside of the plan and still provide you with the reimbursement for premiums, etc? If the answer is no, I simply tell them I am unable to help. I can get that knocked out fairly quickly. I have no time to waste during AEP. And I'm sure most of you feel the same way. In the past, because my nature is to help people, I would try and advise them on which plan they should choose through their retiree plan. But for the last several years, I've had to tell them I just can't assist as I need to focus my attention on the clients who help me earn a living. It's possible to say all that in a way that the person asking for help can appreciate. For the most part anyway.

This is what I do an 90% it is never an issue, But once in a while (more when these retirement exchanges start) you run into those that will lie because they know you wont spend time with them if they cant buy from you they will suck the time out of you and only when it comes down to the app the truth comes out

Not a problem over all but when it does happen, always seems to happen when I am very busy

The TVA deal seems to be a lock. Briefing the info (links above) it appears they get nothing in their HRA unless they buy from One Exchange.

I wrote some folks a few years ago on the AT&T bail out. Have written one other on an ex-employee of a large company but that's it.

I still get a lot of traffic on my site from AT&T retirees but that's all.

When I do get a live one I quickly find out if they are aging in to Medicare or they are going to be a GI app. If GI I suggest they deal with One Exchange.

This is what I do an 90% it is never an issue, But once in a while (more when these retirement exchanges start) you run into those that will lie because they know you wont spend time with them if they cant buy from you they will suck the time out of you and only when it comes down to the app the truth comes out

Not a problem over all but when it does happen, always seems to happen when I am very busy

Yes, agree 100%, that is the case with this guy. Told me he was only on original Medicare (no RX) , told me he didn't have any retiree coverage. Bald-faced lying. I even spent time estimating his LEP for not having drug coverage for 8 years, he never stopped me. Complete jerk.

I am able to ferret out them pretty well now, but not in the first 30 seconds, it takes a couple of minutes, time I don't really have during AEP.

Hey - I'm in Knoxville - home of TVA. I am beginning some activity in the Medicare arena (newbie). Been in the insurance industry for many years, doing this to provide a more consistent & regular income.

IS there an opportunity here with TVA? I am looking for just that sir, opportunity.

Back