Post-Convention in Dublin: Suprising Stuff I Learned From A Few Top Gun Final Expense Producers

Rearden

Guru
5000 Post Club
Just got in this evening after eating and drinking way too much this last week on company convention in Dublin, Ireland, and wanted to share some surprising facts on what some of this company's top producers are doing, as it goes in the face of some of mine and other's personally-held beliefs about what is supposed to and isn't supposed to work in the final expense market.

1) Top Producer #1 - has worked final expense for nearly 20 years as a second career (he's in his mid-70s and is actually OLDER than Rouse!), and qualified for convention only by working his existing book of business. He did not purchase a single lead during the 18-month qualification, and had to hit 105k in AP to hit the first-level qualification stage.

2) Top Producer #2 - a Top 5 producer for this particular company, and runs what I believe to be the worst idea for a lead on the planet - the Wal-Mart Gift Card leads. He easily produces $15k-$20k plus each month, and swears the Wal-Mart cards are as much good as any lead that actually says life insurance. His response rates are averaging 3% and more in a heavily marketed Southeast state.

3) Top Producer #3 - Another Top 3 producer who virtually replicates what the guy above is doing - he's running Wal-Mart Gift Card leads with high returns in an even-heavier saturated Southeast State.

4) Top Producer #4 - This guy is interesting. He is on track to produce north of $500,000 in AP this year. But what's even more interesting is he hasn't left the home to do any of his production! This agent invests nearly $200,000 a year in direct mail leads to get the production he's on track for, and has a small team of "fronters" who qualify the leads and follow up on apps that are sent out to get inked (and if I understand it correctly, virtually ALL of his apps are paper apps, not tele-apps). Unlike the other agents above, he hates the generic leads and in his words, "wants the most expensive lead he can buy," to get the best quality lead available.

Last little note - All these guys are placing 80% or more with this one company, with the rest (if they have another) with another company. Persistency seems in line with what I'd expect from final expense (75% to 80% first-year).

Last edited:
Congrats on qualifying! What carrier hosted this trip?

I just love reading this because it is yet another reminder that there is a TON of business out there! All we have to do, is do freaking work to get it.

Congrats on qualifying! What carrier hosted this trip?

I just love reading this because it is yet another reminder that there is a TON of business out there! All we have to do, is do freaking work to get it.

An educated guess is United heritage.:yes:

Just got in this evening after eating and drinking way too much this last week on company convention in Dublin, Ireland, and wanted to share some surprising facts on what some of this company's top producers are doing, as it goes in the face of some of mine and other's personally-held beliefs about what is supposed to and isn't supposed to work in the final expense market.

1) Top Producer #1 - has worked final expense for nearly 20 years as a second career (he's in his mid-70s and is actually OLDER than Rouse!), and qualified for convention only by working his existing book of business. He did not purchase a single lead during the 18-month qualification, and had to hit 105k in AP to hit the first-level qualification stage.

2) Top Producer #2 - a Top 5 producer for this particular company, and runs what I believe to be the worst idea for a lead on the planet - the Wal-Mart Gift Card leads. He easily produces $15k-$20k plus each month, and swears the Wal-Mart cards are as much good as any lead that actually says life insurance. His response rates are averaging 3% and more in a heavily marketed Southeast state.

3) Top Producer #3 - Another Top 3 producer who virtually replicates what the guy above is doing - he's running Wal-Mart Gift Card leads with high returns in an even-heavier saturated Southeast State.

4) Top Producer #4 - This guy is interesting. He is on track to produce north of $500,000 in AP this year. But what's even more interesting is he hasn't left the home to do any of his production! This agent invests nearly $200,000 a year in direct mail leads to get the production he's on track for, and has a small team of "fronters" who qualify the leads and follow up on apps that are sent out to get inked (and if I understand it correctly, virtually ALL of his apps are paper apps, not tele-apps). Unlike the other agents above, he hates the generic leads and in his words, "wants the most expensive lead he can buy," to get the best quality lead available.

Last little note - All these guys are placing 80% or more with this one company, with the rest (if they have another) with another company. Persistency seems in line with what I'd expect from final expense (75% to 80% first-year).

Good post! It shows that there's more than one way to do this business.

How did you like Dublin. I've only been in the airport. Almost missed my connection going through there last year, and coming back had to wait 5 hours while they worked on the hydraulics. I can "live" with that kind of delay.:yes:

An educated guess is United heritage.:yes:

Yup.

----------

Good post Dave.

I also agree with the monkey. Many ways to do what we do.

I Thought ole' Dave had gone missing. Thanks for reporting back, my man. Great stuff!:1cool:

That does it!!! Im running wal mart gift card dm and e64's only! Lol, great stuff Dave. Your lead buddy.

How much is the wal-mart gift card?

Good post! It shows that there's more than one way to do this business.

How did you like Dublin. I've only been in the airport. Almost missed my connection going through there last year, and coming back had to wait 5 hours while they worked on the hydraulics. I can "live" with that kind of delay.:yes:

As you can imagine, drinking is a popular pastime with bars and pubs on every corner.

Dublin is generally a clean place, and the countryside is very green and pastoral. The rain thankfully held off the entire time with only one day cloudy.

If you go, I'd recommend a night at Johnnie Fox's for good, traditional Irish fun (drinking, singing, Riverdancing, and more drinking).

----------

How much is the wal-mart gift card?

Typically, the lead advertises a five-dollar gift card.

The agents who use the Wal-Mart lead rarely give it out, and only so when it's asked for.

I made sure to clarify whether or not they actually SHOW a copy of the lead during the sales call, as I figure that would ramp up the number of people expressing interest in getting their Wal-Mart card.

These agents DO NOT show the card, and run the appointment on the assumed basis they wanted information on life insurance versus free handouts.

----------

I forgot a few other interesting points to share:

Many of these top producers overcame significant "downs" in their careers.

One top producing agent had triplets in his recent past (imagine the pressure on him and his wife in addition to the pressure to perform at peak levels).

Another had to reinvent himself after suffering cardiac issues due to the stress of managing a Professional Adult Babysitting Business (hmm... maybe that's not acid reflux pain after all I'm experiencing?).

Another owed a notorious final expense carrier nearly $50,000 in chargebacks accumulated via deadbeat agents who left the bill to him. He cleared off his balance over several years and decided to focus on personal production versus recruiting (heart disease and debt... I'm seeing a worrying trend here.).

Point is the path of success in life is rarely without obstacle, and it's important to share that even the most successful final expense agents have experienced circumstances that could easily have persuaded them to quit, but instead decided to overcome those obstacles to become even more successful.

Great post, a few questions!

1) Top Producer #1qualified for convention only by working his existing book of business.
So this guy only rolls his book?

2) Top Producer #2 He easily produces $15k-$20k plus each month, and swears the Wal-Mart cards are as much good as any lead that actually says life insurance.
Does this guy give the people the walmart card even when they are NOT interested in life insurance?

4) Top Producer #4 This agent invests nearly $200,000 a year in direct mail leads to get the production he's on track for, and has a small team of "fronters" who qualify the leads and follow up on apps that are sent out to get inked (and if I understand it correctly, virtually ALL of his apps are paper apps, not tele-apps).
Does this guy sell over the phone and then MAIL out the application for signatures?

Latest posts

Back