Pot Smokers and Life Insurance

There was an article in pipes magazine some time ago. But I think it was also referring to pipe smoking. Anyway many cigar smokers are rated as non-smoker usually because they don't smoke a day or two before the medical evaluation, since cotinine (a nicotine metabolite) has a half-life of a little less than one day.

Which is still fine. Prudential will still give non-smoker plus rates even if you do test positive for cotinine and many carriers will allow you to admit to occasional cigar usage as long as you test negative.

Just an FYI Southern Farm Bureau will give Preferred Tobacco rates as long as no other health issues to smokeless tobacco, weed, and cigar smokers.

But do they ask the question. I have yet to see a carrier that will accept an individual that admits to daily usage.

When I worked as a producer for farmers I was able to get a HEAVY daily user as a smoker rated, they originally returned rated table 4, I argued the case, and also argued the health of the client and age coupled with method of usage (volcano - type of vaporizer that measures a dosage into a bubble, bubble alotted to be smoked per day). Since there was no flame, chance of carcinogen they changed rating to smoker, I fought hard to get better, but it still was a no go.

And that's Farmers folks . . . got a 9500 premium for 1MM Face on a 31 year old down to 4800K. My main issue wasn't actually premium for my client, he was mostly upset on the idea that he was being rated for a medically necessary drug that was used for treatment. He asked for the rating for high cholesterol if treated, if that was a table 4, answer was no, if treated and under control at worst Standard. Main thing is treat the client, find his need, speak with your underwriters. If you don't have that option find somewhere that does.

See our most up to date Marijuana matrix. Just the carriers we write of course, but a great tool.

From this chart, Aviva looks the most attractive to me unless I missed somebody. At 8x per month they can get preferred non-smoker provided they meet the other criteria for preferred rates. If I'm reading that correctly that sounds pretty good.

From this chart, Aviva looks the most attractive to me unless I missed somebody. At 8x per month they can get preferred non-smoker provided they meet the other criteria for preferred rates. If I'm reading that correctly that sounds pretty good.

correct--we have placed many pot smokers with them maaann

Will Minnesota Life pay out on an ADD policy on a customer who tests positive for Marijuana and who has a valid medical Marijuana card (from MT) approved by his PCP?

Angel Dust. Using PCP in same sentence with Marijuana....just looked that way at first glance:goofy:

Back