Poverty County Versus Rich County

Hello agents, at present I live in a remote, rural area of California with mostly Spanish speaking residents, and very little money. The unemployment rate here is 29%. It is a desert area very near Arizona and Mexico . I own a trailer park here in Imperial County .
I also own a home in San Jose, California, a rich part of the San Francisco Bay area with an average household income of $93500 and a 4.3% unemployment rate . In your opinion, which of these areas would be best for selling FE and Medicare health plans?

Hands down San Josie.

That said, I wrote several cases in your area last year. Totally different people out there. I may be driving through there this month. I have a boy TAD'd in Yuma and may drive down to see him.

You are only, what, an hour and a half from SD? Big money there. I wrote a $250 deal there a couple weeks ago and she has referred me to her house keeper for two $60 deals. Over $5,000 in comp. Chula Vista, National City, Sam Diego are bank. Add in all the eastern county it is Money. A lot of Vets so a better class of people
Win Win Win

----------

Typical FE client is in a lower income bracket.

Definitely not 90k-100k income earners.

I write good business in San Jose.

Hands down San Josie. That said, I wrote several cases in your area last year. Totally different people out there. I may be driving through there this month. I have a boy TAD'd in Yuma and may drive down to see him. You are only, what, an hour and a half from SD? Big money there. I wrote a $250 deal there a couple weeks ago and she has referred me to her house keeper for two $60 deals. Over $5,000 in comp. Chula Vista, National City, Sam Diego are bank. Add in all the eastern county it is Money. A lot of Vets so a better class of people Win Win Win ---------- I write good business in San Jose.

What do you say to your clients when asking for referrals?

What do you say to your clients when asking for referrals?

Maybe if they have a close friend or family that they feel can benefit from calling me. Honestly, they offer, because they care about the people they refer to me. I may say "if you know of anyone that could benefit from meeting with me give them my number. Make sure they mention your name and i will hive them client service" mostly people just call.

If you prospect for final expense with a typical lead card, you will get responses, but most of them will lack urgency or need.

I just finished up marketing a retirement community here in Tennessee, two-thirds out of towners and one-third locals.

The out of towners with money, a pension, and assets were among the worst final expense prospects I've worked.

The locals with minimal assets were perfect.

With all that said, all big cities have poor people living in them. Target the ZIPs where income skews lower; you'll have to do that if you want to work the city.

Most counties outside big cities have 1 or 2 main cities . Those main city zips are 80% plus poverty.The problem then becomes when you exclude the main poverty ridden zips in the big city of a county your pool of people to mail to is shrunk 75% in some cases.When you do this it means you'll have to work tons of counties and depending on the areas one works you could be driving 300 miles plus daily.

Most counties outside big cities have 1 or 2 main cities . Those main city zips are 80% plus poverty.The problem then becomes when you exclude the main poverty ridden zips in the big city of a county your pool of people to mail to is shrunk 75% in some cases.When you do this it means you'll have to work tons of counties and depending on the areas one works you could be driving 300 miles plus daily.

Santa Clara County is close to 2,000,000 Alameda County (Oakland ) is next door is about 1,500,000 people. His county is under 200,000 and really spread out. Just the city of San Jose has over 1,000,000 people.

San Jose, hands down.

Most counties outside big cities havelen to that or 2 main cities . Those main city zips are 80% plus poverty.The problem then becomes when you exclude the main poverty ridden zips in the big city of a county your pool of people to mail to is shrunk 75% in some cases.When you do this it means you'll have to work tons of counties and depending on the areas one works you could be driving 300 miles plus daily.

I guess it comes down to that if you target Ferguson you will likely have a large closing percentage, but a real problem with persistency, by contrast, if you target poor working class people, you might be like American Pickers, driving throughout the countryside to find prospects, but persistency will be higher.

The lower income/asset market tends to yield better results in my experience. Although, you will still make some sales in the other markets, but probably just not as often.

Back