Pre-ACA Rates: A Trip Down Memory Lane

Yagents

Guru
5000 Post Club
Arizona
We all know the ACA caused rates to double or triple in some cases.
Attached is proof, with various FL rates from 2008 and 2009.
Notice the deductibles are much lower, and sometimes "family" HSA deductibles.
Also notice, all PPO offerings (no HMO's)

I'm blown away by some of the low rates.
Such a shame the democrats can't admit the law is a failure.

----------

Trying to load document......too big.........stay tuned

Here you go..................enjoy your entertainment of disbelief

Attachments

• 2006 2008 example FL Rates.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 2008 example FL Rates.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
My average premium when I was helping people with HSA's was $135 per person. It was great for those who would max it out and great for those who would not use coverage much at all. Ahhh, the good old days...

We earned the same commission dollars too, and everybody was happy except those turned down, or rated/ridered.

Yeah, it's a great gig. Massive shell game type of gig.

Premiums skyrocketed, but the highly subsidized didn't care, even though the pain was felt by taxpayers and those who "couldn't keep their plan".

Deductibles went up, but the CSR people didn't care. Taxpayers did.

Our sales went up and the commissionable premium skyrocketed, but the commission % went down, so the phrase "you can make it up in volume" became the joke.

Doctors' patient load changed, but they could "make it up in volume" on a HMO network with too many exchange patients. Good news is that they could always sell their practice to a big hospital chain and simply become an employee.

More people were insured, but they had an anorexic network, or doctors that couldn't see them, so they used the emergency room anyway.

The carriers got to keep up to 20% of a hugely increased premium with an increased volume, which is an enormous windfall, but the claims ate it up.

Claims went up, but carriers could put money into a fund that would send money to the losers from the winners, but nobody was a winner.

All in all, it was a great shell game.

Funny thing, 90% of us predicted this when the law was signed in 2010.

Last edited:
I just looked at some BCBSGA rates from the 1st quarter of 2010. For a comparable plan to what I currently have, I am paying three times the rate compared to what it was then (current plan is with Humana - rates for a comparable plan with BCBSGA today would be even higher).

Not to mention my taxes are higher as well. Good job Democrats!

----------

Funny thing, 90% of us predicted this when the law was signed in 2010.

And that made us racist according to some.

Latest posts

Back