Pre-approach Letters Followed Up with DKing...viable??

I don't know that it would be anymore effective than just knocking on the door. However, if being able to go to the door, introduce your self and say, "I am here to discuss the information as I promised you in the letter you received last week." gives you more confidence to make the door knock, then by all means, do it. :yes:

If you're working old leads you're going to have to send out hundreds of letters. Just like you have to call hundreds of people to get results. In my opinion i don't think it'd be worth your time as you have to account for time it takes to envelope the letters and then drive around. You're better off just calling them from your office or home. Once you get interest then you can try mailing those clients

If you're working old leads you're going to have to send out hundreds of letters. Just like you have to call hundreds of people to get results. In my opinion i don't think it'd be worth your time as you have to account for time it takes to envelope the letters and then drive around. You're better off just calling them from your office or home. Once you get interest then you can try mailing those clients

Iwonder what Zueve thinks?:err:

I think it was Travis that mentioned using a letter to "refresh" old leads before calling.

I think it was Travis that mentioned using a letter to "refresh" old leads before calling.
I've even done it for A leads that don't answer after 2 weeks and even then most that answer are like "I didn't answer because I'm not interested." Lol. Just my experience.

In the letter I put a copy of the DM lead and a letter that has a funny comic about cold callers. (Hinting it's not a cold call, rather they asked for me to contact them). I simply put "be expecting a call from me within the next week!" And put my company logo and contact info.

Didn't work in Cali but could work in other markets possibly

Sounds intriguing..what product are you trying to sell?

I am entering the FEX market in Delaware. I have a background in other areas but FEX will be my main focus initially.

----------

I don't know that it would be anymore effective than just knocking on the door. However, if being able to go to the door, introduce your self and say, "I am here to discuss the information as I promised you in the letter you received last week." gives you more confidence to make the door knock, then by all means, do it. :yes:

It is something that I was introduced to with another organization I was affiliated with. I used it in conjunction with other prospecting methods and felt that it was good way to fill in my schedule while in the area for other appointments. I figured I would mail maybe fifty letters every week offering some sort of free service, brochure, planning guide, etc. and then follow up with a DK.

You are right though in that I feel more comfortable following up either on the phone or in person after sending a pre-approach letter...a good ice breaker.

----------

I'm planning on using a reverse directory and Google Earth to plan my mailings, focusing primarily on mobile home parks and other communities that I believe would be a good fit for FEX.

----------

I have come across several posts mentioning the use of pre-approach letters.

----------

I've even done it for A leads that don't answer after 2 weeks and even then most that answer are like "I didn't answer because I'm not interested." Lol. Just my experience.

In the letter I put a copy of the DM lead and a letter that has a funny comic about cold callers. (Hinting it's not a cold call, rather they asked for me to contact them). I simply put "be expecting a call from me within the next week!" And put my company logo and contact info.

Didn't work in Cali but could work in other markets possibly

I'm targeting a relatively rural area with a couple of small towns and one 35000 person "city" in the area. I'll let you know how it goes once I get started.

I am wondering if anyone has tried the drop-in letter first followed up by a very lukewarm door knock method of cold calling?

I cold door knock over 65's. My partner and I came up with a letter to send to the people with gates, and those that are never home etc. We used a technique from a well known direct mail marketer, and thought the approach letter was really good, a sure thing. Addressed the letter to the female in the house with no return address, yellow post it on the inside.

We sent out a test of 250 one week and got one response phone call back-"my mother is dead, and just wanted to let you know".:twitchy:

So, try something and give it a good shot, and if it doesn't work then you learn what not to do for the next time.

I am wondering if anyone has tried the drop-in letter first followed up by a very lukewarm door knock method of cold calling?

I've done a lot of what you are asking about BUT not for FE.

When you are marketing to a very small prospect base like I do with funeral homes or you likely did if you could only sell to Knights of Columbus members, you want to have a contact with every possible prospect and put them into catagories. I use three catagories.
1. Yes now
2. Yes, but not now
3. No

The yes nows are the people that you are going to get an appointment set right now from your cold marketing (calls, door knocks, mail replies, whatever). You obviously have the fewest of them.

The yes laters are the people that YOU (not they) determine are good prospects for you to continue to market to. You have sized them up as have a need, have the means but does not yet have the want.

The no's are the people that after your initial approach are...as Mr. Wonderful puts it...dead to you.

With FE it's a whole different mindset. You are only really marketing to yes nows. You have unlimited prospects. Leads are cheap, cheap, cheap! You don't need to waste time with anyone but yes nows.

But when you market to a limited prospect base you must approach and categorize each and every one of them. You MUST door knock because 3/4 of your prospects are on the DNC list. So you do bulk mailings but I NEVER mail any approach letter that does not include a reply card. You always want the interested prospects to be able to easily raise their hand and say "me first!"

And when you are selling to a limited base of prospects the superstars are superstars based on what they do with the Yes, laters. THAT's what separates the men from the boys. It's what I call prospect farming. And it pays to learn how to be real good at it. IF that's the type of market you are in.

But if you are going to sell FE, it's NOT what you need to do. Just take the path that is laid out before you. Buy 25 direct mail leads every single week. Call them and set your appointments. Make your sales to the Yes nows. Rinse and repeat.

Back