Pre-existing conditions and individual health

Also, symptoms cannot be underwritten. If you say you have a pain on your knee that's a no-go. Only a diagnosis can be underwritten so if migraines were a symptom it would be a postponement until the client obtained a medical diagnosis.

Now, a headache would be considered a symptom. If your client stated that they were having "bad headaches" it would be a postponement. If after testing it was determined to be migraines then you're in.

Wikipedia is fine, but I don't trust it for medical conditions. Mayo Clinic, WebMD and Medicinenet are better sources.

A migraine is a type of headache which is caused by an underlying problem. If the cause of the migraine can be diagnosed then that condition can be treated. Otherwise, migraines are treated symptomatically.

High blood pressure is another example of a symptom of an underlying condition.

Since most people don't want to treat the cause of the high blood pressure (smoking cessation, lose weight, restrict sodium intake) the condition is treated symptomatically to bring the pressure under control.

....getting back to the point that you cannot get a symptom underwritten - it must be a condition. But what do I know - 4 more years to go in this biz before I know anything. Can't wait.

inthedark - When I first read your question I wanted to agree with your agent, as this is definitely the case with other companies like GOlden Rule and Humana. But, since CCP doesn't exclude any pre existing conditions I wanted to make sure. I had my GA check with CCP and this is the response I received:

The only time CCP will put a pre-existing condition on a client is if they do not put down every condition they have ever had on the application. For example, if I have asthma, and I fail to put it on my application and CCP finds out about it then they will put a Pre-Existing condition on that condition. So as long as the client puts down everything and they are approved then the condition will be covered, of course it may be rated, but not excluded.

I have seen some plans that do state that they do not prex conditions listed on the app ...if you have pryor coverage or not....

Back