Pre-existing conditions and individual health

I have never heard of HIPPA (although I have put too many "P's" and not enough "A's" in responses at times in haste).

Can you reference a source for HIPPA?

HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act) was originally passed in 1996. It has been implemented in stages as well as amended.

PHI (Protected Health Information) is part of HIPAA and was implemented in 2003 in part with full implementation by 2005.

:embarrassed: Boy, do I have egg on my face! I was focused on correcting the misuse of the term "credible" insurance and mis-spelled HIPAA, another common mistake, myself.

Is is just me, or is the humility getting really high?:laugh:

Re: pre existing conditions and individual health

State laws, type of policy (group or individual), and carrier policy guidelines differ. A licensed, and qualified state agent should know.

My point also, I know how my carriers pre-x, but it would be nice if creditable coverage applies across the board, group and individual.

As mentioned before on this forum, would we not be better with individual plans A, B, C.....F like medicare sups are?

On one hand yes, on the other, it separates the qualified vs the non qualified agent that knows the subtle differences in the carriers.

would we not be better with individual plans A, B, C.....F like medicare sups are?

Better? Probably not.

Even with 8 or so med supp plans consumers (and many agents alike) have no clue about the differences.

With all the talk about guranteed issue and such (which only serves to make coverage more expensive for all) if the states were going to do anything they should consider this. Require carriers to offer 2 basic health care plans, free of state mandates. Both plans would be GI but due to the limited benefit structure, could be "affordable".

People who want basic coverage without health questions can opt for those plans which could be reinsured via a state pool funded with premium taxes or even a new tax if needed.

Those who want full coverage and are willing to go through underwriting can opt for the other plans in the carriers portfolio.

To avoid confusion, we should henceforth refer to is as HIPPAA and avoid the confusion.

LOL!:D

The thing is, even if you google HIPPA, you get a government organization (hippa.org) that discusses legislation about this law! Whenever I think of the term, I think to myself Health Insurance Portability and Privacy Act (which would be HIPPA), instead of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)... which usually leads me to mis-spell the correct acronymn. I think somewhere along the line some legislator put his finger in the pie and changed it from HIPPA to HIPAA.

The main thing that this thread has done is bring out the correct use of the term "creditable" insurance vs. "credible" insurance and HIPAA vs. HIPPA. Even if we screw up, we learn.:cool:

Re: pre existing conditions and individual health

My point also, I know how my carriers pre-x, but it would be nice if creditable coverage applies across the board, group and individual.

As mentioned before on this forum, would we not be better with individual plans A, B, C.....F like medicare sups are?

On one hand yes, on the other, it separates the qualified vs the non qualified agent that knows the subtle differences in the carriers.

It seems there is no end to this madness: Today, I came across the fact that Missouri has two different definitions for pre-ex in their statutes, one for Major Medical policies, and another for Limited benefits, specified disease, or "supplements".

Stop the world, I want to get off....:goofy:

If you dig further into state laws regulating health insurance (or any insurance for that matter) you will find it is a hodge podge of rules & regs. You won't find one definitive source but rather a collection.

Some rules apply to group health but not individual, some to major med but not to supp plans.

I tried to get a list of mandated benefits from the GA DOI a few years ago. What they gave me was a Word doc with summaries and references to legislation. One list applied to group plans, the other to individual.

Most folks think insurance rules are like the 10 commandments but that is not the case. The rules cannot be found in one place. Some overlap and some even appear to contradict.

If you dig further into state laws regulating health insurance (or any insurance for that matter) you will find it is a hodge podge of rules & regs. You won't find one definitive source but rather a collection.

Some rules apply to group health but not individual, some to major med but not to supp plans.

I tried to get a list of mandated benefits from the GA DOI a few years ago. What they gave me was a Word doc with summaries and references to legislation. One list applied to group plans, the other to individual.

Most folks think insurance rules are like the 10 commandments but that is not the case. The rules cannot be found in one place. Some overlap and some even appear to contradict.

Yep! The laws I was browsing were the latest attempt to update state laws that contradicted federal... specifically HIPAA.

It seems that state legislators get pressured to conform to federal standards, but no pressure to clean up the contradictions within state regs results in slackness.

Nevermind the contradictions, we are still held accountable!

For individual health insurance in many states, if the pre-existing condition is specifically disclosed on the individual health application, and the carrier does not specifically rider or exclude the condition, then they will cover it without a waiting period.
Some carriers such as Aetna oftentimes will charge an extra premium if they accept you for coverage, but will not rider or exclude conditions.
-----------
http://www.pre-existing-conditions-health.com
http://www.pre-existing-conditions-health-insurance.com

Back