Pre-Paid Legal

My response to all these guys peddling PPL as the best thing out there is to come back to me after you've been in the business for 5 years and you are driving a better car than me. They never make it five years and they can't sell the stuff, which tells me all I want to know. There are always exceptions, but most of them are sales crooks.

When I need legal advice, I pay my real attorney up the road from me.

I am a PPL associate, but have taken a sabbatical from sales for the past couple of years while I build my health insurance business.

I have refrained from discussions about PPL on this forum because of that one obnoxious guy that gets under my skin like many of the rest of you. However, I have to admit many other PPL agents are like him... but so are some health agents. Obnoxious salesmen, like obnoxious non-salemen, are disliked the world over.

I was sold on PPL by my daughter, and after several years as a member (and satisfied with the product), I became an "associate". I have never liked MLM, and PPL is no different. They do have a good product, I just wish their marketing plan was not MLM.

Whenever I have a legal question, it is nice to just pick up the phone and call my lawyer group. I had attorneys for many years, some good, some not so good, and they ran the gamut from sheister to (later) judge... kinda like salesmen in some respects. AND it was expensive... (I could'a had a nice car if I hadn't had to pay so much in attorney fees). Now, I pay about $16/mo to have a reputable law firm on retainer. No need to hesitate about calling, no need to seek referrals, no need to ante up big bucks, or be told "he's in court, call back some other time", or get a bill for time at $400/hr.

The big problem with the way PPL runs their MLM gambit (as I see it) is the method of cannibalizing from their downline. Everything you do, you have to pay for from sales literature and materials to sales meetings (which you are required to attend to be authorized certain sales).

I plan to return to offering PPL plans (low key) next year after the AEP madness. I think it is quite useful for some people, and affordable.

I can't stomach the recruiting side of the business.

I think to a degree the value is relative to geographic area. What I am seeing and hearing lately in California with any of the pre-paid plans is as follows:

"I am very backlogged with pre-paid clients and could not possibly see you under that plan for at least three or four months. However, since you are a member of that plan, I can offer you help and consultation now at a 25% discount off my regular rate, or you can wait a few months until I can get to you on the pre-paid program, your choice."

At least in CA, people are not getting what they are paying for.

What do you guys expect, John Addison from Primerica is on their (PPL's) board of directors. They charge the agents for everything! Every Sales brochure, ad piece, etc. well at least the downloadable applications are free,.... oh yeah gotta pay $25.00 per month to access that. Well Dumb looks are pretty much affordable( Bet we can get em at 50% off).

OK now I gotta change my avitar, Right?:twitchy:

Scott

I offer the Prepaid Legal Plans and I see the value of the service. Many people don't have a Will, Living Will or Powers Of Attorney. How many people can have documents reviewed before they sign them? The plans are designed to keep small issues from becoming big issues. As for the validity of the company there are Former Attorney Generals that are on the board of directors. Some people may not like the plans or the opportunity, but it's still valid and some people are doing some great things with the company.

Go to the company web site and look at the Advisory Council and the Board Of Directors. If considering the company do some due dillegence. People can spend money on cell phone minutes, pizza's, coffee everyday and balk at a company offering a legal service plan for a small monthly fee.

How many of your clients have legal questions and if they do who do they turn to? What about beneficiary desigination questions and how will that effect their Estate Plan? As for Identity Theft take a look a privacyrights (dot) org , chronology of date breach. Yes it cost to get qualified to see to groups and to market the small business plans, but so what? just sell a plan and let that take care of the cost. Something that is great is if you are a business builder, PPL gives associated ownership after 12 months. Also the business is Willable. So if an associate builds a business and dies the business can go toa family member. Yes in some states there may be a licensing requirment to offer the Legal plans, but to offer the ID Theft program there's no licensing requirement, but in some states that require a license to offer the legal plans it's just a case of paying a fee. Is PPL for everyone, I say no, but for some it's a good fit.

How many people would be in a different situation at this moment if they had just had their Attorney review their mortgage loan documents? Yes even other Lawyers sign up for the service because they understand the value.

Recorded Message: Attorney Sue Martines
1-800-813-9698

Recorded Message For insurance agents: 24/7 pre-recorded recruiting call 1-973-854-1203 opt 3

To see the Board Of Directors and the Advisory Council
www prepaidlegal (dot) com

I know people will still come back and say they don't like PPL or their products. It's the same way with insurance and agents, everything isn't for everyone. I say just give the information and let people have the option to say no thank you. I think that's fair. Due dillegence.

Last edited:
I offer the Prepaid Legal Plans and I see the value of the service. Many people don't have a Will, Living Will or Powers Of Attorney. How many people can have documents reviewed before they sign them? The plans are designed to keep small issues from becoming big issues. As for the validity of the company there are Former Attorney Generals that are on the board of directors. Some people may not like the plans or the opportunity, but it's still valid and some people are doing some great things with the company.

Go to the company web site and look at the Advisory Council and the Board Of Directors. If considering the company do some due dillegence. People can spend money on cell phone minutes, pizza's, coffee everyday and balk at a company offering a legal service plan for a small monthly fee.

How many of your clients have legal questions and if they do who do they turn to? What about beneficiary desigination questions and how will that effect their Estate Plan? As for Identity Theft take a look a privacyrights (dot) org , chronology of date breach. Yes it cost to get qualified to see to groups and to market the small business plans, but so what? just sell a plan and let that take care of the cost. Something that is great is if you are a business builder, PPL gives associated ownership after 12 months. Also the business is Willable. So if an associate builds a business and dies the business can go toa family member. Yes in some states there may be a licensing requirment to offer the Legal plans, but to offer the ID Theft program there's no licensing requirement, but in some states that require a license to offer the legal plans it's just a case of paying a fee. Is PPL for everyone, I say no, but for some it's a good fit.

How many people would be in a different situation at this moment if they had just had their Attorney review their mortgage loan documents? Yes even other Lawyers sign up for the service because they understand the value.

Recorded Message: Attorney Sue Martines
1-800-813-9698

To see the Board Of Directors and the Advisory Council
www prepaidlegal (dot) com

I know people will still come back and say they don't like PPL or their products. It's the same way with insurance and agents, everything isn't for everyone. I say just give the information and let people have the option to say no thank you. I think that's fair. Due dillegence.

All well and good, but how do you explain the increasing phenomenon at least in California of contracted attornies who cannot provide the services for which the subscriber has paid, at least in a timely fashion?

It's no joke out here, many of the contracted attornies are telling people they are too busy with "those cases" and have several month backlogs to get them on the calendar. Instead, they can see them now for a slightly decreased fee off the normal, non pre-paid fee.

I call it bait and switch.

Last edited:
I say call Prepaid Legal Inc. and let them know about it as they should also inform the Calif. provider law firm. I myself can't say it is or isn't happening to some people.

For every complaint there are many testimonials. Go to the PPL site and look at the member testimonials located on the left hand side. That's business.

Most of the people who have experienced this have instead chosen to drop the pre-paid program (it's not just PPL, it's others as well).

The problem is, pre-paid programs are basically HMOs for other services. An HMO is the health insurance equivalent of a pre-paid health plan, pay now for expenses that may occur down the road.

An example, dental HMO plans usually have contracted providers who have the same long waiting lines for patients to get seen. From LA to Sacramento I have heard of many dental offices having 3-4 month waits just for checkup and cleaning. Same goes for many doctors who take HMO patients.

These pre-paid programs are the same. Bog down the system with too many patients/clients and soon there are waiting lists.

Last edited:
I am a PPL associate, but have taken a sabbatical from sales for the past couple of years while I build my health insurance business.

I have refrained from discussions about PPL on this forum because of that one obnoxious guy that gets under my skin like many of the rest of you.

We can get a restraining order aginst him. It should be covered under your policy. If not we can get a scarry letter sent out. Just like PPl did for these fine folks.

Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
Later I did receive a threatening letter from (the credit card company) stating if I didn't complete and return the forms they had enclosed that they would reverse the charges. Well... I knew my rights thanks to Kroll and Pre-Paid Legal so I threatened them right back- with legal action. You know what... this account that had almost $4,000 in fraudulent charges- now has a zero balance.

Thank you Kroll and Pre-Paid Legal.

Last edited:
It's not that serious. The PPL plans are moth to month plans if people feel it's not for them they do have the option to give it up. I myself like the PPL plans and the associate system they have but I myself may have to give up being an associate because I will soon be getting a series 65 (RIA) license and I was infromed by the broker dealer that the PPL business isn't authorized. So with some of us it's not all just hype, it's a business decision.

On the business side PPL is an option. For the plan side it's month to month. It's serious but it's not that serious.

Back