Pre-Paid Legal

It's not that serious. The PPL plans are moth to month plans if people feel it's not for them they do have the option to give it up. I myself like the PPL plans and the associate system they have but I myself may have to give up being an associate because I will soon be getting a series 65 (RIA) license and I was infromed by the broker dealer that the PPL business isn't authorized. So with some of us it's not all just hype, it's a business decision.

On the business side PPL is an option. For the plan side it's month to month. It's serious but it's not that serious.
Actually most of the people I talk to with pre-paid plans are on "group" employer sponsored plans and can only drop at open enrollment, meaning once per year. 12 months of mandatory premiums are not a small issue.

I'm not group qualified so I can neither confirm nor deny that the plans are manditory or can only be added or dropped during open enrollment. Yet as with all things, some people are going to have an issue. It may be justified or it may just be somethng personal. Looking at the big picture for the small monthly fee people have access to a Law Firm in many times for less than what they spend in company vending machines in their break rooms. They get a Will, Living Will and Durable Power Of Attorney, not to mention the motor vehicle benefits for their family and more. Looking at the
whole picture the value of being able to update their estate Plan every year is a plus. Couple the Legal plan with the Identity theft plan and it's a great combination. Well everyone see it that way? No they won't. All things are not for all people. As for me, I like having the ability to call my Provider Law firm on a 24/7 basis if in an emergency situation. I would gladly give up a pizza a month for the service. Yet like I said not everyone feels the same way. PPL is a NYE company and has been in business for over 30 years. They must be doing something right. If people in the legal field endorse and some have the plans themself, in the big picture that does say something to me. Like I said all i'm giving up is maybe a pizza a month and in return I get access to professional Legal services.

PPL does fit a specific person and seems to be very popular amongst college students. That seems to be the only market that it makes even a bit of sense since they are usually low income individuals that are trying to make their way through college and PPL when presented to them makes them feel protected.

Most others have their "PPL" through what is called liability insurance included under their Homeowner's Insurance policy. Also, business owners have this included in their BOP or GL policies. There would be no need for PPL for a smart business owner because attorney fees are paid under these plans. If the person does something outside of the regulations of a GL policy (ex:murder, rape, etc...) there should be no help for them.

Where do the business owners go when they have questions about the new laws dealing with Indenity Theft and client information? Take a look at what they have access to with the site ww go smallbiz (dot) com

Sure some insurance products can deal with some things, but will the insurance companies review contracts? Will the insurance companies help with traffic issues in and out of state? What about the new Red Flag rules coming in Nov.? Research FACTA...All things are not for all people. What does the business owner do when they have a conflict with the insurance company? That's kind of like getting Identity Theft protection from the credit bureau or bank who is responsible for protecting your information anyway.

Last edited:
I hate people who push MLM and don't say it's MLM but the people I hate even more are those who push MLM and dang proud of it. :frown:

This at least from my stand point is about the product and the service it provides. It's not about recruiting anyone. Some people like the product side and some like the business building side. As I can only speak for myself, I see the need for the product. I also see the positive of the business side especially when looking at marketing the plans to small business and to groups. The book of business does pay residuals and associates have ownership after 12 months. If they leave they can sell or Will the company to a family member upon death. Ownership to me is a major consideration especially considering in many states there are no licensing requirements. So if people get blinded by the MLM so be it. Something else to consider is with many MLM's to make money you have to recruit a whole bunch of people and of course the product(s) sold usually have an inflated price. That's not the case with Prepaid Legal. Associates have the option of building a team or building their income from personal production.

There's a market for the Legal plans, and there's a market for the Identity Theft Plan. Just like in the Insurance industry, there are many people who get compensated from the sale of a product. MLM or no MLM PPL is a NYSE company with backing from people in the Legal profession. As Insurance professionals many of our clients have legal questions. Some can afford to contact an attorney when they have questions, and for some it's cost prohibited. For those that see the value in steps a Prepaid Legal plan. For those who are concerned about Identity Theft, in steps the Legal Shield. Now just a side note on the Identity Theft subject. We all know about having a professional license and having to notify the regulators if any criminal issues happen. Well what if someone stole your Identity and caused some major issues? Today it's prove your innocent, Where would you turn? Some may have a monitoring service, well now you know about it, it's time to clean it up. That's where the value of a Prepaid legal plan and the Identity Theft Shield can be seen. Well it happen, maybe not, can it happen, yes.

As I posted above take a look at the www privacyrights (dot) org site "Data Breach Chronology" It's all about choice.
Not all things are for all people.

I understand your point about reviewing contracts but I do not understand the point about conflicts with insurance companies. Are you saying that the pre paid legal service premium you pay covers such things? Or does it just cover the initial call and questions you may have? Does it pay for the legal representation in court, or is that extra?

I am also confused as to what you are reffering to as "traffic". Accidents in other states? Trafficking drugs? Casualty insurance follows the insured.

Another point to bring up is that most homeowner's, BOP, and GL policies include, or you can add identity theft and fraud protection. This coverage works the same as liability coverage. At time of claim, the legal fees will be paid for your attorney to represent you.

Also, I feel it very important that agents/financial advisors keep their clientelle up to date on the new laws and regulations that are passed. Most successfull agents/financial advisors create a relationship with at least one attorney who helps with estate planning, buy-sell agreements, defined benefit plans, etc..This relationship helps with referrals along with the legal matters that agents/financial advisors cannot do.
I also think that most businessowners are not dummies and can do the research themselves by using the internet.

Back