Premiums to Income Ratios

DHK

RFC®, ChFC®, CLU®
5000 Post Club
I've been doing a bit of internet research on various company's premium to income ratios... and perhaps how it directs their agents in how and when to present permanent life insurance.

I was quite surprised with the low ratios allowed by MassMutual without requiring further explanation by their underwriting department. Granted, it was a 2008 underwriting guide... but I doubt they changed much in the last few years.

massMutual Premium to Income guidelines.png

Almost everybody else I've found... have FAR higher premium to income ratios allowed. I've attached Penn Mutual, Principal, Met Life / Brighthouse, Lincoln Financial Group, and Midland/NA.

This one is from American National: ANICO premium to income guidelines.png
I would be curious to see limits from New York Life, Northwestern Mutual, and others.

Attachments

• Mass Mutual Underwriting WITH Income-Premium Guidelines.pdf
    685.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Penn Mutual Financial Underwriting - up to 25 percent.pdf
    825.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Principal - Up to 25 percent.pdf
    229.1 KB · Views: 0
Here are others that I've found for Lincoln Financial, Midland/NA, and Met Life.

Attachments

• LFG premium to income ratios up to 25 percent.pdf
    33.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 11_8_16-MidlandUnderwritingGuidelinesChanges including Max Premium to Income Ratios.pdf
    141.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Met-UW-Guide (Met had higher limits than Mass).pdf
    558.5 KB · Views: 0
I always thought 10% was a threshold for permanent life, I understand high net worth clients have a different set of circumstances, especially when looking at tax concerns... but 20% for 70 and above :eek:... have I been in the FE business to long?

The older one is, the more life insurance is more of a capital wealth transfer vehicle, so premiums are coming from other assets rather than income.

The younger one is, one could use permanent life insurance as a strategic collateralizing and tax-free asset.

So far, about 20% is the allowable amounts of premium to income. I know Mass would also allow it... with an explanation. Van Mueller has his clients explain it to underwriters.

Plus, the seniors who have been great savers tend to have a tremendous amount of annual income coming that they cant control at the same time they may have very little monthly expenses. Younger clients many times have way more expenses with mortgages, debt service, raising kids & college. the Seniors sometimes have SS & 401k/IRA checks coming they may not need entirely, so 20% may not be an impact to their budget at all with RMDs flowing they are not using to live on.

Reactions: DHK
I've seen substantially more than 20% allowed in some situations if explained. Especially older clients utilizing other assets as mentioned.

Back