Price Transparency

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
HealthMarkets, Inc., a leading provider of affordable health and life insurance to individuals, the self-employed and small businesses, announced today that it is introducing new consumer guided health insurance products in Georgia, through its indirect subsidiary The MEGA Life and Health Insurance Company, that include the companyÂ’s industry-leading Web based price and quality transparency tools.

At a time of rising health care prices, the MEGAÂ’s CareOne Select, plans offer a new approach to health care, enabling consumers to better understand the likely cost of health care services before receiving them. The plans are geared for people who pay 100 percent of their health insurance premiums because they buy as individuals, rather than as members of an employer-sponsored plan.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20070108005344&newsLang=en

somarco said:
HealthMarkets, Inc., a leading provider of affordable health and life insurance to individuals, the self-employed and small businesses, announced today that it is introducing new consumer guided health insurance products in Georgia, through its indirect subsidiary The MEGA Life and Health Insurance Company, that include the companyÂ’s industry-leading Web based price and quality transparency tools.

At a time of rising health care prices, the MEGAÂ’s CareOne Select, plans offer a new approach to health care, enabling consumers to better understand the likely cost of health care services before receiving them. The plans are geared for people who pay 100 percent of their health insurance premiums because they buy as individuals, rather than as members of an employer-sponsored plan.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20070108005344&newsLang=en

(Business Wire, 2007) "CareOne Select Plans with online transparency tools are currently available in eight states: Alabama, Arizona, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi and Texas. They are offered through The MEGA Life and Health Insurance Company, an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of HealthMarkets, Inc."

I am very interested to find out the specifics about the costs of procedures via the online transparency tool.

Apparently you will have to buy a plan from Mega to access their site.

That is NOT something I would recommend . . .

IF IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS!

If I offered you car insurance for $1 a year, while everyone else was offering it for $55 to $60 a year, would that mean that:

a. I know something no one else knows
b. I have enough resources to take the financial hit, whereby my competition does not
c. I'm ripping you off.

The more flash and promises that surrounds a product, the less that product has to offer. Many years ago, Assurant quietly introduced their One Deductible Plan. It didn't take off immediately, and had its nay sayers. Lo and behold, it's now one of the most popular plans to offer, with, and without, an HSA account.

The brilliance was in its simplicity.

TONIK (or, as I call it, TOXIC) was brought out with a HUGE Media campaign, flash, pomp, circumstance, and helium balloons. The only thing its missing is:

Underwriting Guide
Paper application
The ability to change into or from the plan to other Evil Empire products

In other words, they want to get the business placed, and don't care too much about it afterwards. Sound familiar Mega Life and Health reps?

Back