Price Transparency

Jan 15, 2007

1. somarco

somarco That Medicare Guy

State:
    Georgia
    http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20070108005344&newsLang=en

2. salpro22

salpro22 Guru

State:
    Texas
    (Business Wire, 2007) "CareOne Select Plans with online transparency tools are currently available in eight states: Alabama, Arizona, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi and Texas. They are offered through The MEGA Life and Health Insurance Company, an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of HealthMarkets, Inc."

I am very interested to find out the specifics about the costs of procedures via the online transparency tool.

3. somarco

somarco That Medicare Guy

State:
    Georgia
    Apparently you will have to buy a plan from Mega to access their site.

That is NOT something I would recommend . . .

4. Crabcake Johnny

Crabcake Johnny Guru

State:
    South Carolina
    Just call Mega directly and ask 'em to send you some brochures on their plans. I'm sure they'll be happy to stick them in the mail for ya.

5. Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy Guru

State:
    Georgia
    IF IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS!

If I offered you car insurance for $1 a year, while everyone else was offering it for $55 to $60 a year, would that mean that:

a. I know something no one else knows
    b. I have enough resources to take the financial hit, whereby my competition does not
    c. I'm ripping you off.

The more flash and promises that surrounds a product, the less that product has to offer. Many years ago, Assurant quietly introduced their One Deductible Plan. It didn't take off immediately, and had its nay sayers. Lo and behold, it's now one of the most popular plans to offer, with, and without, an HSA account.

The brilliance was in its simplicity.

TONIK (or, as I call it, TOXIC) was brought out with a HUGE Media campaign, flash, pomp, circumstance, and helium balloons. The only thing its missing is:

Underwriting Guide
    Paper application
    The ability to change into or from the plan to other Evil Empire products

In other words, they want to get the business placed, and don't care too much about it afterwards. Sound familiar Mega Life and Health reps?