Professional Liability E&O Vs D&O

bill777

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
what's the difference in those 2 i had a client that gave me his current insurance application to get him a quote when i submitted it to the underwriters they were asking which one he wants they couldn't figure out if he had E&O or D&O also my client didn't know which one he needs too.
Can any gurus advise what's the difference? my client has a non profit company.

Last edited:
Bill, not to be an ass, but do you know what the difference is?
I mean, depending on what the business is your quoting, YOU SHOULD KNOW what the client needs.

How many places need E&O? What places need D&O?

I have to say also, NEVER go by what the other agent wrote, how do you know that agent isnt an ***? He may have written E&O when they really needed D&O coverage.

It is likely D&O to cover the board members. Probably not professional liability unless they provide counceling or some other professional services.

they provide job training, counseling, support services to at risk families. thanks.

Sounds like they need both. They need professional E&O for the counselors and they need the D&O for the board members. The E&O is probably on a claims made form so you will need to make sure to purchase a tail to pick up the back exposure if it is on a claims made form.

Sounds like they need both. They need professional E&O for the counselors and they need the D&O for the board members. The E&O is probably on a claims made form so you will need to make sure to purchase a tail to pick up the back exposure if it is on a claims made form.

thanks his current policy had a general liability certificate, that the underwritters i quote with forgot to provide that too, the one sent me an e&o quote and the other a d&o quote wthout a general liability quote.
so if he has general liability he still needs both e&o and d&o?
thanks a lot for the advices :)

Well, ABSOLUTELY, GL, E&O and D&O are ALL completely different coverages!

Just in case there are any non P&C dumbies like me I will say that D&O stands for Directors and Officers liability insurance. I didn't know what D&O was and had to look it up.

Back