Progressive claim

Alex -

We had commercial insurance policy with United Financial Casualty Company (Progressive) for more than 1 year. Always paid in time and in advance. All was good until accident happened. One of our truck collided in another truck due front tire blow out. We reported about this accident to Progressive. We have declarations page signed by Progressive confirms coverage for that truck. Accident happened May 22, 2017 and declarations page stated we have coverage for that truck effective May 18,2017. Then Progressive started argue that changed to policy was did by agent after accident. We informed their agent in time , two times May 16 and May 18 about that truck and agent told that everything ok. Progressive stated that truck was added after accident, but we have declarations page stated coverage for that truck effective May 18. And Progressive charged us regarding that declarations page and that effective date in declarations page - May 18, 2017.
For now, Progressive "investigate" our claim for 5 months and looking for any reason don't to pay for our claim.

Alex, what state are you in? I think there is something definitely off... I am not by any means an attorney but I can maybe send you some information that would get you pointed in the right direction.

I have such a strong feeling there is a lot more to this than meets the eye. Hopefully the OP will give us more details. Assuming I am reading the post correctly, it sounds like Progressive is saying the policy was changed by the agent after the accident to add the truck, but the OP has a dec page showing the truck listed before the accident? If so, some serious issues going on here.

I have such a strong feeling there is a lot more to this than meets the eye. Hopefully the OP will give us more details. Assuming I am reading the post correctly, it sounds like Progressive is saying the policy was changed by the agent after the accident to add the truck, but the OP has a dec page showing the truck listed before the accident? If so, some serious issues going on here.

Yes. But they told that agent did this after accident. So looks like their agents can chose effective date and time in their system. But if follow their point, why their agents can do this - only for charges? They charged us for additional vehicle from May 18 and now don't want to pay because their agent made this change after accident. I don't know what's the best option in this situation?

In other point, we have declarations page that clearly describe that we have coverage. Why we need to care about when their agent add that truck? If they allow their agents to do so, it's not our problem.

Yes. But they told that agent did this after accident. So looks like their agents can chose effective date and time in their system. But if follow their point, why their agents can do this - only for charges? They charged us for additional vehicle from May 18 and now don't want to pay because their agent made this change after accident. I don't know what's the best option in this situation?

So just to make sure I clearly understand.

You have a dec page showing the vehicle listed for the desired coverage effective May 18, 2017.
You made payment on the policy as shown on the dec page.
The accident involving that vehicle took place on May 22, 2017.
At no point between did you communicate to your agent to remove coverage on this vehicle.
Progressive is claiming that the agent changed the policy and added the necessary coverage for the vehicle ONLY after the accident on May 22, 2017.

If all this is correct, I would say you are going to need an attorney. I have a strong feeling the agent has done something unethical at best.

So just to make sure I clearly understand.

You have a dec page showing the vehicle listed for the desired coverage effective May 18, 2017.
You made payment on the policy as shown on the dec page.
The accident involving that vehicle took place on May 22, 2017.
At no point between did you communicate to your agent to remove coverage on this vehicle.
Progressive is claiming that the agent changed the policy and added the necessary coverage for the vehicle ONLY after the accident on May 22, 2017.

If all this is correct, I would say you are going to need an attorney. I have a strong feeling the agent has done something unethical at best.

Yes, all is correct. But let's look at other point. If their agents have ability to do changes retroactively - for what purposes? If everything ok, they have their money from policyholders and it's ok. If something happened - they can tell it's agent problem. So, we pay for nothing.

Back