Property & Casualty for Seniors

dandan

Guru
100+ Post Club
Are there any P&C companies that are better for retiree's, I spoke with a rep and his company seems to shy away from those over age 65?

Give any company sponsored by AARP a try and you may find relief from your current carrier. You need to understand that as age increases reaction time is slowed and many insurers will quote statistics to show that the chance of an AT FAULT increase after certain ages. If you qualify for discounts based on attending driving awareness classes, sign up and attend. Some insurers are now peddling usage based policies and rates. If you are going to travel less, check out those rates.

You'll find plenty of major carriers interested in older market, particularly in homeowners. The auto market will obviously be viewed differently but discounts are usually offered because of the limited mileage that seniors put on. Check around. Check with companies that offer carrier access, they can direct you to specific carriers.

I have been a P & C agent since 1974. When I have asked companies about senior drivers they all say seniors have just as many or more accidents as younger drivers but the claims aren't as severe for seniors.

I would agree with the above comments regarding the AARP program with the Hartford. Additionally, State Auto used to have programs and preferred rates for clients above 55.

Back