Property Stored at a Family Member's Home is Stolen

doug25427

I stored approximately $5K of personal property at my mother's home while I was living with her. I left the property there when I moved out. Before I could return to move my property from her garage it was stolen. Will my mother's homeowner's policy cover my loss?

Most likely not. Her policy is there for her property and her liability. Doubt her policy will cover your stuff. If you had a renters (contents only) policy, you may have some coverage (possibly 10% of contents away from home).

It never hurts to call and ask the agent (that's a reason to have an agent). Good luck.

PS - I had a similar situation and but it was property left at my clients girlfriend's house. Not covered.

Talk to your agent and the company. They are the best one to answer this question. This is why it is good to have a local agent.

russelltw said:
Most likely not. Her policy is there for her property and her liability. Doubt her policy will cover your stuff. If you had a renters (contents only) policy, you may have some coverage (possibly 10% of contents away from home).

It never hurts to call and ask the agent (that's a reason to have an agent). Good luck.

PS - I had a similar situation and but it was property left at my clients girlfriend's house. Not covered.

Why did you have property at your clients girlfriends house? Did your client know about this? :skeptical:

There are 2 parts to the answer....
- Are you listed as a resident on your moms policy? If you are, then it will be covered (if coverage applies).
- Most homeowners policies provide for some 'guest' property. You would have to know the policy form to answer this.

Then the next thing is, was the house broken into and other stuff stolen as well? If there is no forcible entry or nothing but your stuff stolen, it will be pretty heavily investigated. My experience with these losses is 'Mom' threw it out after a few warnings.

Start by filing a police report. A claim will require it.

Dan

Also depends on the items that were taken. Guns, cash, jewelry, electronics most likely have policy limits different than other items. If your loss is under one of these categories then it may not be covered in full anyways, unless she had added coverage on as a rider.

In the random trivia stage, if you have a homeowners policy you're usually covered for a percentage of your property at other locations as well.

Why did you have property at your clients girlfriends house? Did your client know about this? :skeptical:

SAI, should have been "my client had property left at his girlfriend's house"...Property was not mine ; )

In my example, my client left a large cooker (kind you pull behind a vehicle). It was some how stolen and he wanted to make a claim on it.

Last edited:
Now, that piece of info changes a lot.
A large cooker, pulled on a trailer, sounds like a business. If it is, there may not be any coverage for it anyway, its not personal property, its business property.

Details matter.

Dan

Latest posts

Back