Pros & Cons of Partnering With Smart Choice

WILDCAT-MATT

Expert
Are there any of you out there that are partnered with Smart Choice? Can you please tell me some of the pros and cons associated with working with them? Thanks

Well the following paragraphs from their Agent FAQs does NOT sound good!

Who owns the business that I write?
As long as you are a member of the Smart Choice® Agents Program, you control your book of business. If you leave the program, there are amicable guidelines for obtaining complete ownership of the business you’ve written through the program.

How do I receive my commissions?
Smart Choice® receives your commission information from each of the carriers in our program you represent, then develops the reports – and check – for you!

Are there any of you out there that are partnered with Smart Choice? Can you please tell me some of the pros and cons associated with working with them? Thanks

Also of concern is their 2-year noncompete clause.
However, noncompetes are illegal in CA. I wonder how this works in practice and if anyone's fought it.

I've been working on a spreadsheet comparing all the alliances/clusters/wholesalers, and SmartChoice is actually a decent deal especially in comparison to ISU (~$1700/mo fee + required cobranding). Assuming you don't plan on leaving, of course.

I looked into them very closely.

The non-compete and the other things like the above are what made me
decide against it.

Back