Prospecting at the Court House?

turkjey5

Expert
Does anyone have any experience going to the court house (recorder of deeds) and looking for information on recent mortgage registrations? Getting names and addresses and trying to get in touch with these people and see if they want term LI?
Thanks for any input.

Mark Rosenthal claims to have done that.

Most folks that just bought a house are house poor so spending extra money on "unnecessary" things like life insurance isn't really on their priority list. A lot of times you're better off talking to folks that have been in their homes for a little while and have worked through some of the "surprises" that come along with buying a house.

Many states now have websites like Georgia Tax Assessors - Your One Stop Portal to Assessment, Parcel, Tax & GIS Data for Georgia Counties! that saves you the time from having to go to the local court house. Just play around on google and look for the tax assessors websites.

Back in the old days, when people were buying houses, this was a great niche market. We targeted people that had big life changing events. Like buying a new home or having a baby.

I had a nice system that I made for this market. Those were the good old days.

Does anyone have any experience going to the court house (recorder of deeds) and looking for information on recent mortgage registrations?

There are smarter ways of obtaining this data rather than using your own time or shoe leather (or even finger nails on the keyboard).

Mark Rosenthal claims to have done that.

Most folks that just bought a house are house poor so spending extra money on "unnecessary" things like life insurance isn't really on their priority list. A lot of times you're better off talking to folks that have been in their homes for a little while and have worked through some of the "surprises" that come along with buying a house.

Josh, I'm surprised at your answer here... you certainly must have or could obtain the data that the op is seeking and you could solve his problem here. Also surprised by the thought that folks just buying a house don't buy LI. They buy a ton of it at this time, ala NAA, et al; I used to sell a ton of it to recent home purchasers anyway... Today, the problem being is that the RE mkt is so slow with new purchases that the data and consequencial lead flow is going to be much slower than it used to be... but still folks here are buying LI.

New homeowners, especially first timers, are sensitive to the new debt that they have taken on regarding the new mtg and want to cover the loss of income or life... a very good idea. Hitting these same homeowners a year or two later isn't going to yield the same return on lead count; been there, done that.

Does anyone have any experience going to the court house (recorder of deeds) and looking for information on recent mortgage registrations? Getting names and addresses and trying to get in touch with these people and see if they want term LI?
Thanks for any input.

I have done it and it's not hard. That's how groups like NAA get their info. It's a good market but limited these days as housing sales are slow. I would go to your county auditor site and see what info they have available. Most will have sales info available but won't have the mortgage company and amount. Print off a list and go to the county offices and tell them you want the mortgage info. They should sit you at a computer and show you how to retrieve the info.

Some counties have all the info online which you can download or copy and paste right at home.

There are smarter ways of obtaining this data rather than using your own time or shoe leather (or even finger nails on the keyboard).

Josh, I'm surprised at your answer here... you certainly must have or could obtain the data that the op is seeking and you could solve his problem here.

It's a list I can definitely pull, but the problem is it's not always as accurate as I'd like it to be. Some data is just tough to source, and this is a good example. Some counties make the information readily accessible online so it can get pulled easy and accurate (then married with phone number, age, and other info we have), other times someone has to physically go down their to pull it and/or it's only updated in batches, so if you want a list of everyone that bought a house over the last few months then it might be really accurate or terrible, sort of depends on the area.

Most folks that just bought a house are house poor so spending extra money on "unnecessary" things like life insurance isn't really on their priority list. .

95% people of the people in America will spend more money on their T.V/Cable than on their own life insurance.

But, if you ask them which is more important, I bet you they would tell you their family members instead of the tv. Most people never stop and think about it. I would hope more people value their loved ones than their tv. Stop and think about what the avg family spends on their tv bill each month.

Back