Prospecting

As a new member I am curious as to what methods have and have not worked for experianced members. As they say, you never know until you go out and try it. That being said, my main prospecting tool has been meeting people in public while they are out and about. I enjoy it, but I am curious for other methods out there. For instance, the internet leads. Any insight and constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

I am also new to the business. I started at the beginning of March but I have tried several things and I will give you my opinions, and thats what they are, MY OPINIONS!!
1. Buying leads- Chasing a prospect that 10 other agents are chasing sucks, if you want to sit in front of a computer all day so you can be the first one to call them, you may like it but I was bored to death.
2. Live transfer leads- I had some success with it but it takes a long time in between the transfers, and you can't do any prospecting while waiting, because you have to be available to grab the phone when it rings, and this may happen every 1/2 hour at best, and then they will probably hang up on you. MANY HOURS WASTED
3.Direct mail leads- had moderate success and have sold some policies but it is expensive. If you you pay 400.00 per thousand, you will probably get 1 % back which is 10, so $40 per lead and they are probably just curious or think they are getting info in the mail. But again, I have sold some off of this method but I visit everyone instead of calling them.

Here's what I reccommed to you, and it's a heck of lot cheaper.
A. Align yourself with people on this forum that are willing to help you and don't have an agenda. By the way, if you watch this forum long enough, you will know who the blow-hards are, and the guys that actually will help you.
B. Work 8 hours a day. Work part-time you will get paid for part-time. It's very easy to stop, lay on the sofa, and watch Oprah.
C. Be honest with yourself and do a self-inventory of you. If you are naturally lazy, figure ways to overcome it. If you are unsightly, clean yourself up and look professional. If you are awesome, stay awesome. If you can't close, learn how.
D. Realize there is no easy way to do this business. Many people, including me have spent thousands figuring this out.
E. Don't go into this with the attitude " I am going to try this out" because that is exactly what you will do. I have told myself that this is what I am going to do for the next 20 years, and I work everyday to make sure it happens. There is only one exception, I am waiting for a career as a soap opera critic that pays $200,000 a year.

Talk to people constantly, if you aren't talking, you aren't selling. Figure out which way works best for you whether its calling on the phone, door-knocking, standing on the corner passing out business cards(just joking). It is so easy to do nothing in this business, trust me I know. I was on the phone for 8 hours Thursday and I sold a policy yesterday from it, and I did the phone again all day today and have 3 appointments tomorrow and 1 on Thursday, one of those called me at 9:30 tonight because her mother told her to, and she wants all three of us to sit down and discuss her mom's Medicare Supplement options, and that happens on Thursday.

Why did I mention this. It is not to be prideful but to show you that you MUST work hard to make it. THERE IS NO EASY WAY!!!!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
For those of you who are calling leads, are you manually dialing or using a power dialer to facilitate your calls?

I am using MOJO:D

Last edited:
thanks for that VaDwayne, I was looking for a Soap opera critic to hire, when can you start?

but seriously, that was good info I really enjoyed it and got a lot from it.:yes:

thanks for that VaDwayne, I was looking for a Soap opera critic to hire, when can you start?

but seriously, that was good info I really enjoyed it and got a lot from it.:yes:

VaDwayne did an excellent job of describing it the way it really is. He is hard working and an extremely fast learner. I wish every agent I have trained had is drive and determination.

This is my 1st post and after spending several hours here it has been a learning experience that cannot be gained from books, classes etc. I have NO agenda whatsoever, but would like to say that Frank Stastny took over 1 hour of his time to help educate me on the basics of cold calling, selling etc. At no time did he try and PITCH me on his software unless I brought up the subject. It looks to me to be a pretty powerful tool by the way....thanks Frank. It is a pleasure to have someone help "green" agents like myself the way you did for me.
Sorry MargaritaMan, I was not paid for this endorsement !!!
Also, Mark Rosenthal is another poster here who I want to thank as well for all of his insightful posts, free info etc.
It is welcoming to see experienced agents willing to share their knowledge with new people here and on the phone. All newbies should be as grateful as I am to these "pro's"
Thank You !!

Also, Mark Rosenthal is another poster here who I want to thank as well for all of his insightful posts, free info etc.
It is welcoming to see experienced agents willing to share their knowledge with new people here and on the phone. All newbies should be as grateful as I am to these "pro's"
Thank You !!

You are welcome. Call me if you need anything. I'm always ready to talk your head off.

I too want to thank Frank and Mark for their most generous sharing over the phone with me as well as their insightful postings-------this greenie is getting great education on this forum--Mark, I owe you a call but still working my way thru your goldmine of info

we market Medicare Supplements to get in the door and we also offer Final Expense, plus many other options once we are their agent such as LTC, annuities, etc

briko, I would be happy to get you a list too as long as I have the area codes you work in my SAN with the National No Call List, I did not get your email though. Also you will get more records the larger the area you work such as county or multiple counties instead of specific zip codes.

I sent you a pm with my area code.

Back