Prospecting

David C

Guru
100+ Post Club
I thought I'd share this with everyone. I was buying a tag for a vehicle Friday, while in line I turned to see who had stepped in line behind me. I didn't know her but we chatted for a minute maybe. After I got home I realized I'd blown a good prospecting moment. I should have said to her "you seem like a nice person(she did), I like to do business with nice people, here's my card, I'm in insurance, please call if I can ever help you".

Opportunity is everywhere!

I thought I'd share this with everyone. I was buying a tag for a vehicle Friday, while in line I turned to see who had stepped in line behind me. I didn't know her but we chatted for a minute maybe. After I got home I realized I'd blown a good prospecting moment. I should have said to her "you seem like a nice person(she did), I like to do business with nice people, here's my card, I'm in insurance, please call if I can ever help you".

Opportunity is everywhere!

Yep. On the other hand it is good that we do not just become prospecting robots where every human interaction is seen as a prospecting opportunity. I know all of the arguments against this but that is my view. Some people go to church to go to church. Some go to prospect. Some go to go to church and end out with clients over time. Being in sales can make you reach out to people which is good. It can also make you an obnoxious puke if you don't turn it off sometimes. In regard to the person you met in line, my thought is that either way would have been right, depending on what you want. I would have asked her what she did for a living and then one thing would have led to the next but I probably would have actually been interested in finding out what she did so I dont necessarily see it as being or not being a prospecting move.

Winter

I see seniors all the time out in about. I would never interrupt thier meal at a fast food restaurant to talk to them about insurance. I would feel like I am annoying. HAHA. NO COMMENTS PLEASE.

I would however stop and talk to them if I seen them out working in thier yard. There is definetly a time and place. I wonder how many agents start going to church just for prospecting. I tell people all the time that I sell insurance and I leave it at that. I get some new clients every now and then just from that.

Yep. On the other hand it is good that we do not just become prospecting robots where every human interaction is seen as a prospecting opportunity. I know all of the arguments against this but that is my view. Some people go to church to go to church. Some go to prospect. Some go to go to church and end out with clients over time. Being in sales can make you reach out to people which is good. It can also make you an obnoxious puke if you don't turn it off sometimes. In regard to the person you met in line, my thought is that either way would have been right, depending on what you want. I would have asked her what she did for a living and then one thing would have led to the next but I probably would have actually been interested in finding out what she did so I dont necessarily see it as being or not being a prospecting move.

Winter

Oh well, when I meet a pretty little lady my mind is drifting elsewhere!:D

Letting them approach you seems more fruitful than you approaching them. Let me explain.

I facilitate a Job Seekers Networking Group every Wednesday morning. It is for those who are looking for work. As we do our 30 second introductions, I mention that I am an insurance agent. That's all I say about it.

From this, since last October:

• 3 of the Job Seekers have taken out STM policies (all three found jobs within 4 months of taking it)
  • 2 of the Job Seekers have provided me with leads that led to sales(we talk about Job Openings - business expanding - and they mentioned some businesses that did not offer a benefits package. I went in and got some individual business from it)
  • 1 guest speaker gave me a referral for someone who will be Medicare eligible in 12 months (I've already spoke with her)
  • 1 of the Job Seekers told me, once they find a job, the very first thing they will do is speak with me about a Long Term Care policy for themselves. She is alone, and has noone to look after her. Her father was in a facility for 38 months, and LTC coverage would have helped.
To me, that's prospecting. It's also helping. The more you help others, the more they'll help you.

We have a blurb about the meeting in several local papers, with my name and number in it. Free advertising there.

;)

Just last Sunday at church, I had someone ask me if I was still in the car business. Told them not any more, I was doing insurance, they turned and walked away...I know I showered this week.....:policeman:

Back