Prospective Clients App Got Declined

So my first app - that my manager reviewed - got declined. I am a little frustrated that my manager who has more experience than me didn’t pick up on this persons health conditions and suggest I ask more questions to prevent submitting her info then having it get declined.

I am also frustrated the carrier did not notify me (they only emailed me saying the premium would be higher) and so when I finally got in touch with her she sounded pissed.

I feel horrible. Granted this was my first app and I didn’t know what I was doing but still I feel horrible about this.

What should I do?

So my first app - that my manager reviewed - got declined. I am a little frustrated that my manager who has more experience than me didn’t pick up on this persons health conditions and suggest I ask more questions to prevent submitting her info then having it get declined.

I am also frustrated the carrier did not notify me (they only emailed me saying the premium would be higher) and so when I finally got in touch with her she sounded pissed.

I feel horrible. Granted this was my first app and I didn’t know what I was doing but still I feel horrible about this.

What should I do?
I'm confused.

You say that she was declined but you got an offer from the carrier with a higher premium?

Declined means no offer.

Higher premium means approved other than applied (AOTA).

Which one is it?

I have always submitted the application and the exam to the brokerage at the same time. Was told that was the way they wanted it done.

What should I do?

No one learns to ride a bike without falling off.

What was the reason for the decline on the rate you originally quoted, and the premium they offered?

If the problem is something that will obviously mean she has a greater risk of death, then that is HER problem, NOT your problem. It's not your fault, it's her misfortune.

It may be that the higher premium offered is actually a good deal, given her heightened risk that the policy may actually pay a death benefit. It may be wise for her to take the deal, and you need to help explain it to her.

The other option is to check with other companies about her condition, to see if it might be treated more favorably by a different company. There are agents on this board who have a lot of experience, and if you can explain the REASON for the increased premium, and the company you submitted the case to, some here may be able to steer you to a better alternative. And if there is not a better alternative, remember, it's her problem not your problem. YOU are the one trying to solve her problem and she should seriously consider taking the deal before her situation gets even worse and she can't buy insurance at all.

People get declined all the time. sometimes the only reason you got the application is that they have been declined by another company or they received news from a physician and are hoping to beat the reporting to MIB. I had a med supp client declined because she "forgot" to inform me she had recently had surgery, this after I read each line in the application verbatim. Stress the offer or move on, it happens

I'm confused.

You say that she was declined but you got an offer from the carrier with a higher premium?

Declined means no offer.

Higher premium means approved other than applied (AOTA).

Which one is it?

Well at first they offered a higher smoking rate (because pot. Client admitted to smoking several months ago), then a couple weeks later they said they wanted to do medical exam before they could accept.

This whole time I’m trying to get in touch with this person (to no avail)

So a few more weeks go by and I finally get a hold of them to let them know I want to help shop around at some other companies but I need more info about the disclosed health condition. This person stops me and says “well that company denied me so I’m not sure I want to proceed further”

Last edited:
People get declined all the time. sometimes the only reason you got the application is that they have been declined by another company or they received news from a physician and are hoping to beat the reporting to MIB. I had a med supp client declined because she "forgot" to inform me she had recently had surgery, this after I read each line in the application verbatim. Stress the offer or move on, it happens

I think this potential client didn’t inform me of the severity or type of condition.

I wish I could say the condition but I don’t know if it’s safe to say on public forum.

Potential client admitted to a hospitalization in the past year

Well at first they offered a higher smoking rate (because pot. Client admitted to smoking several months ago), then a couple weeks later they said they wanted more info about pot. Clients health conditions.

This whole time I’m trying to get in touch with this person (to no avail)

So a few more weeks go by and I finally get a hold of them to let them know I want to help shop around at some other companies but I need more info about the disclosed health condition. This person stops me and says “well that company denied me so I’m not sure I want to proceed further”
Different companies underwrite differently with different health niches. Shop around. :yes:

Back