Prospective Clients App Got Declined

I think this potential client didn’t inform me of the severity or type of condition.

I wish I could say the condition but I don’t know if it’s safe to say on public forum.

Potential client admitted to a hospitalization in the past year

Send her down the road. From what you have written, she isn't being honest and she is trying to blame you for her problems.

While I rarely agree with Robert, I do here. You didn't break it, you are simply trying to fix it. When she hides information from you and tries to blame you for the difficulties, that is her problem, not yours.

I know it sucks when you get a decline or not taken early in the business, but sometimes it is just life. As someone mentioned earlier, it sounds like she was hoping no one would catch on to her health issues. Well surprise, they did.

Insurance companies aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, but they've been burned on stuff like this enough to spot problems.

Your gaining experience, If you keep searching answers out you will get good at your trade, Also you learning about prospect attitude you will deal with more in the future

This is why you can make real good money in this business because you will be an expert if you keep on the right path

The main thing is don't let the prospects intimidate you and continue to learn about underwriting and how to deal with underwriters and it will all work out in the end

I am a bit confused.
Your client got a smokers rate because the client smokes pot.
Now a medical exposed a condition?
Disclosing the condition is not a problem, nobody can trace it back to your client.
Perhaps if you disclose the condition someone on this forum has run into it before and can tell you whether it is worth pursuing?
Just out of curiosity, what was the face amount appplied for and age of the prospect?

I am a bit confused.
Your client got a smokers rate because the client smokes pot.
Now a medical exposed a condition?
Disclosing the condition is not a problem, nobody can trace it back to your client.
Perhaps if you disclose the condition someone on this forum has run into it before and can tell you whether it is worth pursuing?
Just out of curiosity, what was the face amount appplied for and age of the prospect?

I meant potential client - when I said pot. client (too lazy to type it all out lol)

Well the client is middle aged, seeking 100k policy, admitted to smoking tobacco last year and to having been hospitalized due to anemia.

The insurance company came back a few days later and said the quote would be higher due to tobacco use last year.

Then a couple weeks later wanted a medical exam before accepting.

I informed the manager of this and then the question came up of what type of anemia? Because some are more severe than others. Not sure if the potential client intentionally withheld the type of anemia or simply ignorant/in denial about the diagnosis

Between this time and the time it took for the client to answer the phone (3 weeks) - apparently the insurance company mailed denial letter to the potential client

I meant potential client - when I said pot. client (too lazy to type it all out lol)

Well the client is middle aged, seeking 100k policy, admitted to smoking tobacco last year and to having been hospitalized due to anemia.

The insurance company came back a few days later and said the quote would be higher due to tobacco use last year.

Then a couple weeks later wanted a medical exam before accepting.

I informed the manager of this and then the question came up of what type of anemia? Because some are more severe than others. Not sure if the potential client intentionally withheld the type of anemia or simply ignorant/in denial about the diagnosis

Between this time and the time it took for the client to answer the phone (3 weeks) - apparently the insurance company mailed denial letter to the potential client

I don't know if life is different then health on this, however, most health policies if no smoking in one year makes then nonsmoker

Anemia is generally mentioned with most medical questions, you find some that say I don't have HBP, When you go through meds you find they are taking heart medications and they say I don't have a high BP I take meds and with meds My Blood pressure is fine

No you take meds because you have HBP and you need them to keep stable

But you find some that will do that with any condition, You will catch much when asking what meds

^yeah i did a paper app and I think I’m going to try using e-app so the computer will prompt for detailed questions I might inadvertently forget to ask.

Only med were rx iron

But it was allegedly the past hospitalization that got it declined

I am just now realizing it’s not totally declined just the company is declining the simplified issue.

^yeah i did a paper app and I think I’m going to try using e-app so the computer will prompt for detailed questions I might inadvertently forget to ask.

Only med were rx iron

But it was allegedly the past hospitalization that got it declined

I am just now realizing it’s not totally declined just the company is declining the simplified issue.

Not many get prescription for iron. it is something common for anemia

Youll Lear to ask if the were any hospitalization in last year or so too,

Also, I have sold health products for near 15 years and I still have to ask things at times,

Carrier underwriting changes from time to time, More then anything I think agents make their money on underwriting, KNowing where to put hard cases and get best rates

Part of the issue I see is so many folks want to use simplified uw. I'd much rather use full uw, no games....and if they are clean it will likely issue very fast.
Smoking within the last year - its standard to be issued tobacco rates. So you will know that going in. Some carriers are 2 years. The anemia certainly isn't on its own a decline issue, but most times if someone has been hospitalized for any reason they will have to go full uw. Learning niche's of carriers will help you as you move along.

Lately smoking pot has become a real issue with declines. Client thinks they should not mention it because it may not be legal in their state. My own son in law smoked 2 days before he had his medical exam. I could shoot him. so when they answer "NO" to the question you need to probe further because recreational use can be allowed by some carriers. But an answer of "NO" when the stuff shows up in the blood draw will get a decline almost every time

Back