Prospective Clients App Got Declined

From what I've seen (now) that seems to be about the jist of it. It could change in the future as more states make it legal. The cases I've done, if they use MJ in any form, its been tobacco rates. No different than chewing tobacco, with all companies but a couple, you still get tobacco rates even though you aren't smoking the tobacco.

The Dif is chewing tobacco causes cancer just the same, I've seen those picks with half jaws and such it seems the chewing is worse than the smoking, At least they make it out that way

The Dif is chewing tobacco causes cancer just the same, I've seen those picks with half jaws and such it seems the chewing is worse than the smoking, At least they make it out that way
I don't know of any carriers that allow cigarette smokers to get non-smoker rates. There are several that allow chewing to be standard or even S+ non-smoker.

Most life carriers don't differentiate the delivery device for THC. Protective is the only one that I've seen use "inhaled" or "not inhaled" (and rate it non-smoker/smoker). Most just call it "recreational marijuana use".

Trans, Omaha, Minny life, North American, Lincoln, Pru, AIG are all good for recreational users.

Lincoln is probably one of the most liberal w/ frequency.

They can do whatever they want as long as they have a rational basis for the decision, it's disclosed and not contrary to existing law or regulation.

It could be as simple as, "Our company policy is to rate anyone who uses marijuana or any product containing marijauna or THC as a smoker."

I have gotten that exact answer.

I have also issued a P+ $1,000,000 policy I quoted Std+. She had gotten a Smoker offer after admitting to the edibles with Cinci. AIG said possible STD+ if admitted and clean labs.

I don't know of any carriers that allow cigarette smokers to get non-smoker rates. There are several that allow chewing to be standard or even S+ non-smoker.

Most life carriers don't differentiate the delivery device for THC. Protective is the only one that I've seen use "inhaled" or "not inhaled" (and rate it non-smoker/smoker). Most just call it "recreational marijuana use".

Trans, Omaha, Minny life, North American, Lincoln, Pru, AIG are all good for recreational users.

Lincoln is probably one of the most liberal w/ frequency.

I never ran into someone who chewed tobacco for Med Supp or even when I sold Maj Med, Just going by different things I have seen on the dangers of chewing tobacco

What I have seen may even be propaganda designed to make it look worse then it is for all I know

Just seemed a little crazy to me, However I have no real-world experience in use or in underwriting with it

Part of the issue I see is so many folks want to use simplified uw. I'd much rather use full uw, no games....and if they are clean it will likely issue very fast.
Smoking within the last year - its standard to be issued tobacco rates. So you will know that going in. Some carriers are 2 years. The anemia certainly isn't on its own a decline issue, but most times if someone has been hospitalized for any reason they will have to go full uw. Learning niche's of carriers will help you as you move along.

Ohhh!!!! I think the hospitalization is what led them to want fully underwritten.

But still this was on the app my manager reviewed before submitting it to insurance company so I’m not understanding a) why the manager didn’t notice this and b) why the manager was acting clueless when I said the company was requesting medical exams

Maybe the manager was smoking pot while reviewing this clients app. Idk?

I don’t want to blame the manager but .... damn it seems like my manager failed on this one.

Does this companies decision make it harder for prospective client to get approved for simplified issue term policies with other companies?

Last edited:

I believe Some, like Minnesota Life & Prudential allow up to 20-25 uses per year and still be classified as a non-smoker. Basically treat it as celebratory like they do cigar smoking

Back