Prospects for IUL?

First, the question form the OP was about IUL and selling to Lawyers, its nice that you know how to compile a list and all, but you should really compile one with companies that actually have significant track records.

NA, has by far a superior accumulation product and can be difficult to sell without additional software illustration.

LSW has been doing IUL a long time and has excellent illustration software and also has contractual guarantees and Living benefits that the others do not have.

While your list is just getting into the game (exception - NA)...They are not the leaders or even know how to play in the IUL sandbox yet.

PacLife has been #1 in IUL sales for the last couple of years....

First, the question form the OP was about IUL and selling to Lawyers, its nice that you know how to compile a list and all, but you should really compile one with companies that actually have significant track records.

NA, has by far a superior accumulation product and can be difficult to sell without additional software illustration.

LSW has been doing IUL a long time and has excellent illustration software and also has contractual guarantees and Living benefits that the others do not have.

While your list is just getting into the game (exception - NA)...They are not the leaders or even know how to play in the IUL sandbox yet.

I would disagree with almost everything you just said.
I do agree that not all of them have the IUL history that LSW has. But they all have the LIFE INSURANCE HISTORY that LSW has, plus better ratings.
That is like saying that Ford makes crappy cars because they have never made a 4door hatchback before 6 or 7 years ago....

Im not saying LSW has a bad product. They just dont have strong ratings. And since we are on the subject of selling to lawyers; I have a good bit of experience with lawyers. And they definitely take ratings into consideration when buying IUL.

I assume you are speaking of the libr option with LSW when you say they have features the others dont. Because it is pretty much the only thing the others dont have.
It isnt a bad option to have. But I have serious doubts about how many people would actually use it (even though they paid for it)

NAs illustrations are not the prettiest. But they work. And if you know the product & concept you dont live or die by the user friendliness of the illustration.
I sell NA fine with no additional software.

I just placed a good size IUL to fund a serp policy for a business. We used LFG before with them but showed NA along with LFG this time.
When the CFO saw the Comdex comparison he immediately said they are going w/ NA.
If I had showed LSW and their Comdex, he probably would have laughed me out of the room.

To put it in school terms, you are comparing the lowest B possible (one point away from a C) to a low A.

Also, volume of sales for a single product has nothing to do with product quality or company stability.
Allianz was the main IA player for a long time; they also had some of the most consumer unfriendly products on the market.

Last edited:
Isn't there a book out about this very subject? tax free retirement or something like that? i.e., using IUL as a retirement vehicle.

Back