Prospects Lie to Us Every Day...

sshafran

Guru
1000 Post Club
NC
So, what do you do when a prospect is lying to you? :1arghh:

We all know they lie. Every day. Here are some examples:

You get a lead, make contact with the prospect and go over some basic information. They PROMISE you that they will call you back tomorrow. They never intend to call you...lie #1
When you don't hear from them, you call them the next day. They are having a "medical emergency" and they are just headed out of the house, so they can't talk right now. But they say, "I have your number." I know - this is lame - but this is what a lady told me today... (last time I had a medical emergency, I wasn't answering my phone)

Or, you have another prospect who says: (This was what someone said on Monday)

Prospect: "I just bought a policy from another company, but thanks anyway."

Agent: "Oh really? Well, what company did you go with?"

Prospect: "Well, I'm not really sure. Ah...I think it was Allstate. $50,000 maybe? Well, I was in the hospital last week, see, I have cancer. My friend took care of it all for me. A family friend. Yeah. I think it was Allstate."

A 70 year old man with cancer who was in the hospital got a $50,000 Allstate policy. You and I know he is lying.

So the story goes. We can add story after story. Some of the things people tell us are so outrageous you don't know whether to laugh or to get mad at them for thinking that you are stupid.

My question: How do you handle it? With the 70 year old, I almost downright called him a liar...I was ticked off. I didn't. Instead I just kept asking questions, you could tell he was uncomfortable, but I knew he was lying and I acted casual. His only way out was, "I have to go lay down now, I'm not feeling well."

At the same time, people like this deserve the consequences of their stupidity, so I didn't lose any sleep over the old man who obviously needs insurance but it too prideful to talk to an agent. In a sense, I fired him from being a prospect. I would never call on him again...he isn't the type of client that I want. I've found that at times there are some people who are not worth our time...

So, how do you handle the lies?

I count my blessings that they lied to me and got caught before we put in an app, instead of during or after. Those people can make your life an absolute hell if they get into your client database - hang up and move on.

Having the lie to you is one thing. I have had them ask me to lie about their answers to the health questions on the application.

That takes either a huge amount of stupidity or great big balls.

Of course I agree to. Anything to write an app right? :D:D:D

I didn't even say goodbye to him.

Having the lie to you is one thing. I have had them ask me to lie about their answers to the health questions on the application.

That takes either a huge amount of stupidity or great big balls.

Of course I agree to. Anything to write an app right? :D:D:D

I didn't even say goodbye to him.

Wow! I haven't had that happen to me yet...

I've only had one client lie to me on an app that I know about. It was about smoking. He said that he quit 5 years ago. I clarified 2xs to make sure he knew that he had to be completely free of tobacco for 5 yrs. on this particular app. He said he was done.

Well...came back as a tobacco policy after underwriting...

Stressing the importance of honesty is great. But they still lie sometimes.

You can lie to a saleman and still go to heaven. A friend of mine in the business was telling me what his pastor told telemarketers who called him in a low, troubled tone, "oh I'm sorry, he recently passed away..." I get all sorts of white lies...

-I'll think it over (really saying no)
-Mail me something and I'll look it over (doesn't ever happen)
-Let me look at my schedule and call you next week to set something up(very few call back without some prodding)

In the end, get over it. If it's a white lie, be assertive and deal with it head on. If it's more than a white lie, move on, you don't want to deal with them anyway.

I call them out on it, and tell them that we should start over and be honest with each other - or we're done. 99% of the time, they're ashamed and not sure of why they lied, other than embarassment.

But there's the 1% that continues to insist there is nothing wrong. They get the heave-ho.

Back