Providers and Insurance Advice

sshafran

Guru
1000 Post Club
NC
Just venting a little bit here...

In central OH we have a "strong" local captive mapd program that local doctors / hospitals push.

It got me thinking today (after not making a sale) - why can doctors, hospitals, etc. recommend (or push) insurance plans without an insurance license?

When you are talking to a prospect, and the prospect's doctor recommends the mapd, it's pretty hard to change their mind even if the med supp you are offering is better, your breath doesn't smell bad, and you are patient and professional in answering questions.

I don't know. I don't give medical advice because I'm not a doctor. I don't see why these doctors constantly tell their patients which mapd plan to pick. Seems like it would be non-compliant to do so... and yes, I'd love to stick it to some of these doctors.

Probably some kind of exemption. Much like the crap the carriers get away with that you and I can't because of CMS rules.

When Atlanta had a hospital owned MA plan (Piedmont) they promoted it heavily direct to the public. Can't say if the hospital and their docs pushed it as well but I suspect they did. It was an HMO model, closed panel type, so my guess is everyone had a chance to get a piece of the pie.

When the plan rolled out anyone with any knowledge of the market could see it was benefit rich compared to other plans.

In other words, underpriced, although that may not be the correct term when discussing a plan that does not carry a premium.

The plan lasted 2 years and was overwhelmingly popular. So much so they lost their butt and closed up before the 3rd enrollment.

Amazing how many people and companies think they can move into a market and undercut the competition but still make money. Their perception of excess profits by the established players leads them to believe they can go in with slimmer margins and still make a ton of money.

Oscar has done the same thing in the Obamacare market only to learn they really have no clue how to structure their product and make money.

Consider the Obamacare co-ops. Another taxpayer funded money pit where almost every one failed (16 of 23 as of early 2016).

Most of the privately owned plans will eventually fail and take with then investor money, taxpayer money or both.

As long as you are not "compensated" for it, you can give advice (good or bad) about insurance all day long with a license.

Just venting a little bit here...

In central OH we have a "strong" local captive mapd program that local doctors / hospitals push.

It got me thinking today (after not making a sale) - why can doctors, hospitals, etc. recommend (or push) insurance plans without an insurance license?

When you are talking to a prospect, and the prospect's doctor recommends the mapd, it's pretty hard to change their mind even if the med supp you are offering is better, your breath doesn't smell bad, and you are patient and professional in answering questions.

I don't know. I don't give medical advice because I'm not a doctor. I don't see why these doctors constantly tell their patients which mapd plan to pick. Seems like it would be non-compliant to do so... and yes, I'd love to stick it to some of these doctors.

And why can the replacement window guy cold call seniors and you can't?? (I realize that's just an Ohio thing but, it ticks me off!)

Is it just med supp that you can't cold call for ? or any type of insurance?

Med Supp...................................... because the Ohio DOI got 3 complaints in 2013 or something like that. Thanks, Mary Taylor!!!

Now, in Ohio, agents all over the country cold call people here turning 65. Most agents in SC, CA, TN, etc., don't know it's against the law. But, the local Ohio agents do (or at least the vast majority of us do) - so we don't cold call.

So.... guess where a lot of Med Supp commission money goes? Out of state, of course, to non-Ohio telesales agents.

Our T65 seniors get just as many cold calls as other seniors in other states - 2, 3, or more per day - the law did almost nothing to change that fact.

Med Supp...................................... because the Ohio DOI got 3 complaints in 2013 or something like that. Thanks, Mary Taylor!!!

Now, in Ohio, agents all over the country cold call people here turning 65. Most agents in SC, CA, TN, etc., don't know it's against the law. But, the local Ohio agents do (or at least the vast majority of us do) - so we don't cold call.

So.... guess where a lot of Med Supp commission money goes? Out of state, of course, to non-Ohio telesales agents.

Our T65 seniors get just as many cold calls as other seniors in other states - 2, 3, or more per day - the law did almost nothing to change that fact.
Cold call them for FE.. If the conversation leads to a discussion of med supp, so be it... :)

Cold call them for FE.. If the conversation leads to a discussion of med supp, so be it... :)

Awesome!

I'm going to try this one tomorrow:

"Hi, may I speak with Mary? Oh, Mary! Great! You aren't dead yet - so those funeral bills haven't crushed your loved ones. Let's get you covered before they do!

By the way - do you need a Med Supp? Just curious..."

Awesome!

I'm going to try this one tomorrow:

"Hi, may I speak with Mary? Oh, Mary! Great! You aren't dead yet - so those funeral bills haven't crushed your loved ones. Let's get you covered before they do!

By the way - do you need a Med Supp? Just curious..."
I was speaking tongue in cheek but perhaps it will work. Need to read the law carefully to make sure you are in compliance.

Latest posts

Back