Providing Certificate List to Ex Insured

AZDave

Guru
100+ Post Club
I lost a commercial account early this month, mid term. They brought in a 'consultant' to assist in their expansions. Met with him and thought we were all on the same page. One month later, I got fired.

As is our obligation, cancellation certificates went out to all current term holders. 154 of them. Now, the 'consultant' is asking for our master certificate list, urgently.

Am I under any obligation to provide this to my ex insured? They have received a copy of each an every one of them last year's renewal, then as we issue. Kind of want to say, heck no.

Unless they are additional insured, I don't think you need to send out cancellation notice to them. And I wouldn't give out the master cert list.

Depends on if the bridge is burned.

If it is, you've fulfilled your duty. I wouldn't provide them with anything.

Unless they are additional insured, I don't think you need to send out cancellation notice to them. And I wouldn't give out the master cert list.

They are all listed as AI, so they all received a cancel certificate. Somehow though, our management system messed up and the insured did not receive a copy. Hmmm. I'll have to look into that.

That is really where I'm at. Is there a chance to get back in next year? Yes.

So I'm going to give in, quit being a soar loser, and send over the master list to the insured today.

As far as it being required, sounds like the jury is still out...

Well since you are no longer the agent, you can always do like the consultant will do. Send the consultant a copy of each certificate along with an invoice for your time, copying and mailing expense.

No way in hell would I ever under any circumstance give that mfer your master list to make his life easier.
If you send it to him you might as well send your balls along with it.

I lost a commercial account early this month, mid term. They brought in a 'consultant' to assist in their expansions. Met with him and thought we were all on the same page. One month later, I got fired. As is our obligation, cancellation certificates went out to all current term holders. 154 of them. Now, the 'consultant' is asking for our master certificate list, urgently. Am I under any obligation to provide this to my ex insured? They have received a copy of each an every one of them last year's renewal, then as we issue. Kind of want to say, heck no.

Charge him 2 years of commissions paid upfront for your time and material!

They are all listed as AI, so they all received a cancel certificate. Somehow though, our management system messed up and the insured did not receive a copy. Hmmm. I'll have to look into that.

That is really where I'm at. Is there a chance to get back in next year? Yes.

So I'm going to give in, quit being a soar loser, and send over the master list to the insured today.

As far as it being required, sounds like the jury is still out...

I think you did the right thing. You want the insured's impression of you as someone who values and doesn't expect their business.

I may have worded it something along the lines of "Your business means a lot to me and of course I'll help you. In fact, I think we can help each other. How about if we have an exit meeting so I can better understand were we fell short in serving your needs. How does your calendar look on Tuesday?..." I would try to do a Pepsi Challenge between yours and the competition's policies.

Who knows, you may find there's a material difference in coverage and not only do you save the sale, but you save the insured some serious headaches if a worst case scenario happens. Plus, if the consultant misses anything you can point out that maybe the insured can sue the consultant for the gap if the dice roll a seven....

"Well Mr. Jones, it appears the consultant states you can save a lot of money by having property coverage instead of inland marine coverage for your equipment on the trailer...."

Latest posts

Back