Purchase P&C Agency - Logistic ?

32fever

I'm considering an Ind agency purchase about a 2 hour drive from my home. Is this a good idea?

It's a smaller agency, so I'd be looking at driving daily for a while, but eventually cutting back to 2-3 days per week and have a producer (primarily commissioned so I don't have to worry about micro managing) in place long term. Or, I'd work daily long enough to meet/communicate with client base and eventually move the agency closer to home with the intent I'd keep the majority of that book.

I would not plan on moving my home or working in it daily long term. Has anyone done this successfully?

Not sure a two hour move from the current location, wouldn't adversely affect your retention.I guess it depends on the demographics of the office. Do you have a lot of walk in clients? Are most of the clients being serviced over the phone or online?

It does appear that there will be a fair amount of walk in clients. There are a lot of long term clients and the seller is willing to assist with transition. I'm sure I'd lose some initially, but I'd be willing to be present in the office for some time, at least to make sure I have the best chance there. However, I'm not sure where that would lead. It's an old school owner now, so it's a business model change to switch over to more phone/online for new customers. Has anyone done anything like this successfully?

Back